Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

Disabling draft auto-saves

2»

Comments

• Options
    MikhaelMikhael New
    edited August 2010
    I used Piriform's free CCleaner to scrape out everything, and IE8 still persists in acting as though Disable Autosave isn't working (in Vanilla 2.0.3). Odd. It's definitely working as it should in Google Chrome.

@Lykaon; What browser are you using?
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    @Mikhael: Chrome. I looked at the source and autosave.js isn't being included as far as I can tell. After ~30 seconds or so (maybe up to 1 minute), I get a yellow message at the top that says "Draft Autosaved ".
  • Options
    @Lykaon; Strange! Perhaps something is misbehaving for me rather than you? Care to check it at one of my sites?
  • Options
    Hello Im tonipg39, but I have to create a new account, because i don't remember my login email. Sorry for that.

Problem with IE8 continue. Is imposible write a comment in the forum without have to reload the site.

In one minute that you have start to write the comment, the auto saved work, and button post answer appears disable.

Now I am writting in this forum with IE 8 and the auto saved works well.

It isn't only my case, because the users of my foro have the same problem.

If you want, my forum is www.bolsacafe.com.

Thank you very much

• Options
    And in this forum I can write a post with IE 8 without problems :D
  • Options
    MikhaelMikhael New
    edited August 2010
    @tonip392; Thanks for the update. Sounds like help from @Todd is needed when he has a spare minute. I've looked at the core code, but can't see why this is happening in IE8, but not for me in IE8 (ie., it just fails to disable the draft auto-save, but posting a comment works fine).

Edit; @tonip392; I'm on Vanilla 2.0.3. Just tried IE8 in 'Compatability mode' and the same thing happens; the Disable Autosave plugin has no effect, drafts are still auto-saved, but comment posting works fine.
  • Options
    Thank you very much Mikhael:

And you use 2.0 version too?
    I think that post problems start at the first moment. I don't know if the cause is an addon.

Here works very well both
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Thanks Mikhael:

I hope that @Todd will have a minute for this problem :)
    I will be waiting!

Thanks again!
  • Options
    KasperKasper Scholar of the Bits Copenhagen Vanilla Staff

Hiya,

I don't mean to necropost, but this solution for disabling auto drafts doesn't work anymore as the autosave() function is used by discussion.js. I'd like to disable auto saving of drafts and use Sisyphus to store form content locally instead. Why is that exactly? The OP was onto something:

I don't need or want it, and know that some users will find it confusing that a message pops up saying stuff was saved when they didn't ask for it.

Unless you actually want to save a draft to work on at a later time, it's rather intrusive of Vanilla to auto save a draft that simply piles up among the other drafts you have.

Kasper Kronborg Isager (kasperisager) | Freelance Developer @Vanilla | Hit me up: Google Mail or Vanilla Mail | Find me on GitHub

• Options

are you saying this plugin doesn't work for you or are you saying something else.

http://vanillaforums.org/addon/stopautodraft-plugin

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• Options
    edited July 2012

Of course, simply return the function itself! The plugin did the trick, sorry I hadn't seen that:

$.fn.autosave = function(opts) {
        return;
    }

Thanks a bunch @peregrine for helping out a fella who sucks at finding plugins ;)

Kasper Kronborg Isager (kasperisager) | Freelance Developer @Vanilla | Hit me up: Google Mail or Vanilla Mail | Find me on GitHub

• Options
    422422 Developer MVP

The issue with sisyphus is the sheer weight of it, its cool, but man its heavy

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• Options

When you say weight, is that CPU load or file size? It's 3.5 KB which doesn't seem like much, but I'm not sure :)