HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.

Sitemaps: Not sure if it works

This discussion is related to the Sitemaps addon.
phreakphreak Vanilla*APP (White Label) & Vanilla*Skins Shop MVP
edited August 2010 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8
Hi all,

I'm using Sitemaps but i'm not sure that it works. I installed and enabled the plugin, but no sitemap.index.xml file gets created in my Vanilla root.

Maybe i have some wrong folder rights or something, can anybody tell me what else is to do to make it work?

Thanx
p*
  • VanillaAPP | iOS & Android App for Vanilla - White label app for Vanilla Forums OS
  • VanillaSkins | Plugins, Themes, Graphics and Custom Development for Vanilla

Comments

• TimTim Operations Vanilla Staff
    Have you created a discussion since installing the addon? Additionally, the sitemap.index.xml gets created in the /cache/Sitemaps/ folder, not the vanilla root.

You can still access the file via http://www.yourdomain/path/to/vanilla/sitemap.index.xml though, because I hooked into the request chain, and when a sitemap.*.xml file is requested and exists, I pipe the file's contents from its cache folder into the output.

If the file is being generated in /cache/Sitemaps/, you're all set.

Vanilla Forums COO [GitHub, Twitter, About.me]

• phreakphreak Vanilla*APP (White Label) & Vanilla*Skins Shop MVP
    Hi Tim,

Nothing in my case. Sitemaps enabled, Cache CHMOD 777 but ~/cache/Sitemaps doesn't exist nor is the sitemap.index.xml possible to call. Vanilla 2.0.3

$Configuration['EnabledPlugins']['Sitemaps'] = 'Sitemaps';
    ... in the config.php. So it is definitly working somehow

What could it be?
    • VanillaAPP | iOS & Android App for Vanilla - White label app for Vanilla Forums OS
    what about $Configuration['Plugins']['Sitemaps']['Enabled'] ?

This is a button on the dashboard menu called "Sitemaps" with a single toggle button inside. Have you pressed it?

Hi Tim,

Yes, Sitemaps is enabled in the dashboard. I sometimes just check the config.php and i thought > $Configuration['Plugins']['Sitemaps']['Enabled'] is the line to ensure that "enabling" has been written to the config-file.

So Sitemaps is enabled but no xml on my server under 2.0.3, any idea. Anyone else who made it working?
  • It's not working for me either.
  • I am on 2.0.6 and have a similar problem. I've installed and enabled this plugin and I have started a new discussion but no sitemap is created nor is there a cache/sitemaps/ folder.
  • Yeah, latest Vanilla version, and still isn't working.
    I'm going to release a new version of Sitemaps soon.

• any update to this coming ? bit disappointing that vanilla 2.0 doesnt have an inbuilt sitemap feature .... this is really a critical feature of modern sites ?

@Tim - thx for the great work on this. any ideas of ETA ?
    When I get a chance. Hopefully this week. Working on SSO right now.

• anything happening yet ? :P
  • Hey @Tim - any news regarding this ..... really hanging to add a sitemap for SEO etc etc ?
  • edited September 2010
    Hello people, Sitemaps plugin work, you have to go http://www.yourforumvanilla.com/plugin/sitemaps/build

Now, after this, you can find a sitemaps.index.xml in cache/Sitemaps

Note:
    Add this in Cron schedule

Bye!
    @thekeeper: Thanx for your input, but for my forum under 2.0.10 this doesn't seem to work.
    Hello people, Sitemaps plugin work, you have to go http://www.yourforumvanilla.com/plugin/sitemaps/build

Now, after this, you can find a sitemaps.index.xml in cache/Sitemaps

Note:
    Add this in Cron schedule

Bye!
    It shouldn't be necessary to cron this. The plugin is designed to update the sitemaps as necessary.

• AdrianAdrian Wandering Spirit Montreal Vanilla Staff
    edited October 2010
    Seems sitemaps is still not working, followed this thread, downloaded it and getting 404 at http://www.yourdomain/path/to/vanilla/sitemap.index.xml. Any solution?
  • yeah - really can't see why this isn't higher up on the importance list. no sitemap, no SEO and very hard to get content into google,bing etc ?

can you PLEASE fix this :-|
  • AdrianAdrian Wandering Spirit Montreal Vanilla Staff
    edited October 2010
    using this for now http://www.xml-sitemaps.com/, but I have a small forum. Not recommended if you have tons of threads.
  • It seems that this line is not working:

if (!C('Plugins.Sitemaps.Enabled')) return;

If I remove all those lines from the class.sitemaps.plugin.php file it works!