HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.

What on earth is T_PAAMAYIM_NEKUDOTAYIM?

MikhaelMikhael New
edited September 2010 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8
I got this error while developing a plugin (Chrome 7.0 Dev, Vanilla 2.0.3);

Parse error: syntax error, unexpected T_PAAMAYIM_NEKUDOTAYIM. Whut?!

Edit: Aha. Should have done a Google search for this first...

Comments

• ToddTodd Chief Product Officer Vanilla Staff
    php seems to give a lot of errors like this. You just have to go to the file in gives and have a look for missing syntax.
  • Yep. Seems it's Hebrew, left in since early php development. Shalom!
  • MikhaelMikhael New
    edited September 2010
    Ha, cool thing (well, I think so). There are Hebrew translation functions in PHP since much of it was developed by those of a dark hat and curly hair persuasion (oops; bit of a stereotype there!) Hebrew speakers. Things like this, as well as multi-language sites and posts, keep us on our toes. Makes me wonder where we'll be in a hundred years. (Well, we'll be long gone, but you get the idea..!)
  • TimTim Operations Vanilla Staff
    edited September 2010
    Incidentally, the wikipedia article you linked says:
    In PHP, the scope resolution operator is also called Paamayim Nekudotayim (Hebrew: פעמיים נקודתיים‎, pronounced [paʔaˈmajim nəkudoˈtajim]), which means "twice colon" or "double colon" in Hebrew.
    In actual fact, "PAAMAYIM NEKUDOTAYIM" means "twice, two dots". Two dots (:), twice (::). I found that cool :>

Vanilla Forums COO [GitHub, Twitter, About.me]

• Yeah, a lot of languages are very literal, and quite fascinating.