Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

What on earth is T_PAAMAYIM_NEKUDOTAYIM?

MikhaelMikhael New
edited September 2010 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8
I got this error while developing a plugin (Chrome 7.0 Dev, Vanilla 2.0.3);

Parse error: syntax error, unexpected T_PAAMAYIM_NEKUDOTAYIM. Whut?!

Edit: Aha. Should have done a Google search for this first...

Comments

• ToddTodd Chief Product Officer Vanilla Staff
    php seems to give a lot of errors like this. You just have to go to the file in gives and have a look for missing syntax.
  • Yep. Seems it's Hebrew, left in since early php development. Shalom!
  • MikhaelMikhael New
    edited September 2010
    Ha, cool thing (well, I think so). There are Hebrew translation functions in PHP since much of it was developed by those of a dark hat and curly hair persuasion (oops; bit of a stereotype there!) Hebrew speakers. Things like this, as well as multi-language sites and posts, keep us on our toes. Makes me wonder where we'll be in a hundred years. (Well, we'll be long gone, but you get the idea..!)
  • TimTim Operations Vanilla Staff
    edited September 2010
    Incidentally, the wikipedia article you linked says:
    In PHP, the scope resolution operator is also called Paamayim Nekudotayim (Hebrew: פעמיים נקודתיים‎, pronounced [paʔaˈmajim nəkudoˈtajim]), which means "twice colon" or "double colon" in Hebrew.
    In actual fact, "PAAMAYIM NEKUDOTAYIM" means "twice, two dots". Two dots (:), twice (::). I found that cool :>

Vanilla Forums COO [GitHub, Twitter, About.me]

• Yeah, a lot of languages are very literal, and quite fascinating.