Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

Could someone provide a plugin to be used as a Development Pattern?

pixelinepixeline New
edited September 2010 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8
Hey, i'm launching myself into plugin development see if my meager php skills can produce something of use.
The Plugins documentation is apparently written for developers who've followed the code since vanilla 1 - which i have not, so the learning curve is kind of steep.

Question: could someone write a basic sample plugin that could be used both to learn and as a canvas to develop plugins, with example code to:
- add a chunk of text in the head, in the content, in the footer
- add a Settings screen in the Dashboard menu

I remember in the jQuery community, when mike alsup originally wrote a plugin development pattern, it helped a great many people jump on the other side of the code and write their own plugins, which is now a standard, referred to in the official documentation as a great place to start. Also, it fostered coding good practices. Simple tools like that should take you guys a few hours to make and produce a lot of incentive for the community to pick up.

Forgive me if such a plugin exists and i 've missed it. I'll try to make one myself and report back. I truly love vanilla 2 and want it to replace every instance of phpBB spread over the www. But right now i feel it needs to give some love to beginners, so as to have its own evangelist army carry on the good word to the phpBB masses.

Comments