Vanilla 1 is no longer supported or maintained. If you need a copy, you can get it here.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

why doesn't Gmail have a 1-click delete button?

3stripe3stripe ✭✭
edited February 2006 in Vanilla 1.0 Help
maybe i've not spotted it yet, but i still can't find a 'delete' button in gmail!? you have to use the Actions dropdown and then hit 'delete'... wouldn't a delete icon somewhere be faster?

Comments

• Options
    Well Google thinks with this amount of space there's no need to delete a message. Can't remember where but I read this soon after all this invitation stuff came up and people asked questions about the new system. I was one of the first to give away invites.. Time has passed, I have given away ~400 invitations and Google Mail is still not public so.. If anyone wants an invite just drop me your email.
  • Options
    I don't know...
  • Options
    JanJan
    edited December 2005
    From Gmail.com:

Over *** megabytes (and counting) of free storage so you'll never need to delete another message.

;)
  • Options
    fair point dude :-P BUT at least 20% of the emails I get only need reading once at most. It just bugs me that I can't just dump em straight after that!
  • Options
    Yes, I know what you're saying, 3stripe. I am one of those people who like to keep things neat and tidy, and for that reason I don't like unnecessary e-mails clogging up my inbox even if I have 2.5 GB of space! :P
  • Options
    If you use the greasemonkey firefox extension then you can have that delete button.

Or use this extension.
  • Options
    Sweet... i was just wondering about greasemonkey extensions!
  • Options
    Googles version of deleting is called archiving. The message disappears from your inbox, but is still around to be searched or filtered. I kinda like it that way. Your one-click button would then be your 'y'-key. One tap and the message is archived.
  • Options
    I wonder who has the patent on "one click delete"? Like "one click buy" which is I believe owned by ebay?
  • Options
    edited December 2005
    Amazon owns One-Click Shopping.

They also own the slightly less controversial Buy Now, And We'll Never Send It To You, Ever technology.
  • Options
    You can always make a new label, call it DELETED, and label all your emails that you would normally delete with that. You get used to no delete, and it is kind of nice. Say you delete a normal email, you only need to read once, but say after three weeks you need it again, just goto the archive/label and bam its there. The only real reason to delete an email is to save space or if its spam. Dont need to save space with gmail, and spam you can delete. You get used to it after a while. I use the pop forwarding feature. So I use thunderbird, and I can delete mail. So the gmail site is more of a email backup for me.
  • Options
    3stripe3stripe ✭✭
    edited January 2006
    Looks like they heard it through the grapevine that 3stripio needed one click delete :-D

What's new on Gmail? Just launched! Delete button right on top

Now I've got 2, heheheh
  • Options
    lechlech Chicagoland
    You are currently using 102 MB (4%) of your 2686 MB. Do I really need that delete button? BTW though, I still don't see it in FF :?
  • Options
    What the smeg? I don't have that delete button!

You are currently using 1423 MB (53%) of your 2686 MB.
  • Options
    Well, for one, I don't like 1-click anythings as I click on a button by mistake sometimes..
  • Options
    lechlech Chicagoland
    weird, it just showed up here.
  • Options
    giginger: jesus.. what do you get in your mail?
  • Options
    giginger: jesus.. what do you get in your mail?

I have to guess, people.
  • Options
    Google's engineers are reading on Lussumo... Kinda sad it takes them more than a month when Mark can add something like that by the end of the day. :-)
  • Options
    I have friends who do a LOT of forwards and quite a few of them are mpgs and those pps slideshows.
    I also get a lot of mp3s of my mates music if they want an opinion.

I still don't have the delete button though.
This discussion has been closed.