Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

Category links only, on the arrival page?

DanisidheDanisidhe New
edited October 2010 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8
I would like to use the WP connect and Embed Vanilla to integrate a forum into our community group blog - seems a great idea and much easier than the phpBB 3 that I've been faffing with. I imported the php forum with no worries but the end result is a bit of an illegible mess.

It seems Vanilla has stored each category as a kind of tag but has not done anything to group the discussions under them. The default arrival page simply has all topics spilled down the page in date order, but for "announcements" (which it seems all "stickies" have been changed to) which are all up the top with no order or grouping (and therefore context) whatsoever.

I expected that I would need to do some tweaking after import and I have found where to manage categories in the dashboard but I can't find where to fix the "all discussions" problem. Is this something I'm missing because I've only been playing with the free hosted plan, so far?

Ideally, what I'd want people to see is just what you'd see on a normal discussion board - the list of category links so that people can make selections about what they'd like to read first and so that topics have a context.

Oh, and I assume I have to fiddle with CSS to change the topic font in the "Embed Friendly" theme to a more legible font?

Cheers,
Dani

Comments

• Options
    TimTim Operations Vanilla Staff

Vanilla Forums COO [GitHub, Twitter, About.me]

• Options
    LincLinc Detroit Admin
    This isn't an importer issue. What you're looking to do is make your default page the Categories view instead of the Discussions view.

Dashboard -> Settings -> Routes. Change "DefaultController" to "categories" and it will get you close to what you're looking for. To make it look exactly like phpBB, you'll have to theme it.
  • Options
    Thanks, I'll see how it goes :)