Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

Parent categories not working? (2.0.6)

edited October 2010 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8
Hi,
please can you help me with this? Always when I add new category, change category name or for example when I do some other administrator changes on the forum I loose the main parent categories - everything is grouped together in one parent category. This is VERY ANNOYING, because then I have to delete all categories and create them again.

Do you have some ideas how can I fix this?

Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    is this a known bug, or? please!!!!
  • Options
    LincLinc Detroit Admin
    If you use parent categories, all your "usable" categories then also need to be inside a parent category. It's an all-or-nothing proposition right now. Obviously this isn't ideal; the UI on this isn't very good either and is on the list of things to be improved.

• Options
    first of all thanks for the reply. All usable categories I have in a parent category, but still the problem occurs.
    Currently I have 2 parent categories - can be this the problem?
  • Options
    Also, the documentation for categories isn't what it should be.

http://vanillaforums.org/page/Configuration-DashboardForumSettingsCategories

> You can easily change the hierarchy of the Categories by simply clicking and dragging.

OK... but how to nest and unnest categories?

> It's an all-or-nothing proposition right now.

OK... then how do I distribute categories across parents?

> ...the UI on this isn't very good either

I get it that development takes time, another sentence of two worth of documentation, especially given that the UI "isn't very good", isn't too much to ask for is it?

I created a parent category. Everything automatically showed up under the parent. I created a second parents category. All posts still show up under the first parent. I tried tried dragging and dropping a bit. That doesn't seem to affect the nesting.

Thanks for your time and efforts. I'll look forward to a reply.

Cheers!