Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

404 on Dashboard for everything under Forum Settings

edited November 2010 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8
I recently upgraded from 1.10 to 2.0.13 via the fresh install/export/import process. All of my roles and permissions were jacked up by this process - the old roles were imported, but every permission flag was unticked, and some of the roles new to Vanilla 2 like Confirm Email and Moderator were missing. I imported the default roles and permissions from a 2.0.13 fresh install and updated all the UserRoles to match, and everything seems to be working fine now...

...except that I, as an administrator, get a 404 when I try to access anything under the Forum Settings menu on the Dashboard. I'm assuming there are permissions somewhere associated with editing Categories permissions that I messed up when I reset the roles. The Administrator role has the "Manage" option checked under Vanilla -> Categories, Settings and Spam. I thought that would give me access, but it doesn't seem to be working. FYI, I was able to edit Categories as an administrator before I changed the broken roles.

Does anyone have any advice on what I may have missed while fixing the imported roles?

Comments

• Options
    LincLinc Detroit Admin
    edited November 2010
    @jrsmith Want to make you aware of this discussion in case they are related: http://vanillaforums.org/discussion/13517/roles-permissions-reset-after-upgrade Does not pose a solution yet, but it may as we look into this.
  • Options
    Thanks. I saw that thread, but wasn't sure it was related since they were upgrading from 2.x to 2.x.

I'm going to keep digging.
  • Options
    OK, I think this is actually related to mod_pagespeed. I disabled it for completely unrelated reasons, and this issue has resolved itself. Weird.
  • Options
    LincLinc Detroit Admin
    Very interesting. If you have a recurrence of the unticked permissions issue during your next upgrade, please let us know.
  • Options
    ToddTodd Chief Product Officer Vanilla Staff
    I actually don't import the permission tickboxes and they must be manually set up after the import. There are a lot of permissions in the application and it's not that easy to translate them. I figure since this is a one time thing it's not that bad although I understand it can be confusing.

Maybe I should add this feature down the line.
  • Options
    It's understandable. I just wasn't expecting everything to be reset. Perhaps adding a step to the import process to preserve some of the default roles in Vanilla 2 (like the ones I mentioned above) if they don't already exist, and a notice saying that the permissions for every role need to be checked after import. It would have saved me some confusion if I knew that, after the import, nobody other than the admin user I created during installation would have the "SignIn" privilege.

Otherwise, this is one of the more painless import procedures I've used.