Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

New messages not always appearing?

ShmizzleShmizzle New
edited November 2010 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8
Anyone notice that occasionally, new messages don't appear when you first visit the thread (when logged in; it may also happen when not logged in)... they only appear after reloading the page or making a post in the thread?

I noticed that once here a few days ago, and someone else just reported that this happened to them on my forum.

Comments

• Maybe it's a problem with your internet connection, packets get dropped and the page is blank. If not, can you please be more explicit and give some instructions to reproduce this?

Also, what version of Vanilla do you use?

/cd
  • remoukremouk New
    edited November 2010
    Some of my users are experiencing problems as well, but it's hard to tell exactly what happens.

They say: "some 'New' doesn't disappear when I read the discussion", "some discussions appears as totally New, instead of saying how much new comments there are, and it doesn't bring me to the last viewed comment", "some discussions with new comments doesn't show the 'New'".

2.0.14 here.
  • ShmizzleShmizzle New
    edited November 2010
    I'm using 2.0.11, but noticed the same issue here on these forums.

What happened to me and this other user is that the discussion and page loaded completely, but the newest replies in the discussion didn't appear at the bottom of the discussion. Only when going to the main page and revisiting the discussion again did those new replies display.
  • LincLinc Detroit Admin
    @remouk You're describing a different issue that should have been resolved by upgrading 2.0.14. Are these reports since then?

@Shmizzle Can you describe how to reliably reproduce this problem so we can see it?
  • @Lincoln Yes they are. My forum is 2.0.14. Let me ask everyone on my forum to be sure.
  • @Lincoln I've asked my users to take the time to really understand what problem they are facing now. Here it is: the 'X New' sometimes gives the number of total comments, instead of the number of new comments.
  • @Lincoln: Unfortunately I can't, as it's only happened to me personally once. Hopefully it'll happen again so I can give you more details.
  • It happened again today. I clicked on a thread that had new messages, and the new messages didn't appear until I manually reloaded the page.

I should note, last night I logged in to my account on my forum, and then didn't explicitly log out by clicking "sign out". Today I visited the forum, and on the main page it didn't show me as being logged in (at the top it said "sign in", etc), but after I clicked on the thread, it then showed me as logged in. The who's online plugin didn't show me as being logged in though.