Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

Vanilla Plug-In(s) Request/Help

edited November 2010 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8
Hello

I was wondering if any of these sort of plug-ins were currently in development for Vanilla.

1.) Post Voting
Similar to the Voting plugin, but minus the idea of it being a support site. Just something to encourage members to be constructive, or even funny. Comparable to thumbs, reputation, or the sort. Doesn't change up the functionality of the site, such as changing things to "questions", or auto-sorting posts by most votes. Just something where the members get to agree with a post and then they have a simple counter on their profile or something.

2.) Tags
Two questions about tags, actually.
a.) Restrictive tags. Like right now I'm using Vanilla as a gaming community. Members submit game profiles into one category, by the way that I want Vanilla to function is that game profiles are the only things a standard member can tag. The rest, such as general discussions or anything else shouldn't be tagged by standard members - but I still want tagging there because other staff and myself still use the function to mark documentation or other community related threads.
b.) A tag cloud, or something similar. It seems to me on the front page Vanilla wants to display every tag that is entered into the database on the front page. Is there anyway to just have a list of like the top 10, or so - then a link to another page that has a full list of tags?

I know a little about PHP/MySQL, but not enough to work with API and better coding standards. So if there is anyway for someone to walk me through what to do to add these sort of functions into my board, I can attempt it all myself; but I wouldn't trust the plug-ins enough to submit them here - and from what I gather a lot of people would like to have similar functions as these.

Thanks for reading.

Comments

• Options
    Also, a way to remove specific categories from listing on the main page's collection would be pretty neat as well.
  • Options
    LincLinc Detroit Admin
    1) Post Voting - sounds like you could take the Voting plugin and strip it down to the functionality you're looking for.

2) Tagging - I don't believe anyone is currently working on the features you're requesting.

3) Categories - No, you can't arbitrarily de-list some categories from the main page. You'd need to hack that in your template or with a plugin.
  • Options
    1) Post Voting - sounds like you could take the Voting plugin and strip it down to the functionality you're looking for.

2) Tagging - I don't believe anyone is currently working on the features you're requesting.

3) Categories - No, you can't arbitrarily de-list some categories from the main page. You'd need to hack that in your template or with a plugin.
    I guess I'll look into hacking up the voting plug-in, it was something I was avoiding but if all else fails it is certainly an option.

Tagging, I've managed to truncuate the list. Now I'm trying to use the CustomPages plug-in to retrieve a list of the tags from the database. I only know how to hack and duct tape code together, so trying to understand ways to make this work right with the coding standards of the Vanilla team is proving difficult. This also goes for the categories question. I've found the display lines, but I can't figure out how to just simply cut out specific categories.

Basically, I only have a single category I do not want displayed. I'm sure I'll get it sooner or later.
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    RE voting There is a file /plugins/Voting/locale/en-CA.php
    this is the file making the forum look like a Q+A support forum rather than a discussions forum
    you could simply comment out the string substitutions you don't desire
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    So far I have everything related to the voting aspect done. I just need to restyle it to be a bit more appropriate.

I'm still looking for a way to remove specific categories from the main page, and how to create a page that lists all tags though.

---edit;
    I managed to build the page of all the tags. So all that remains is the exclusion of specified categories.

Would be nice if someone knew where voting votes were stored. I wanted to try expanding off the original idea, but I can't find in the database where it's all at.
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    >Would be nice if someone knew where voting votes were stored. I wanted to try expanding off the original idea, but I can't find in the database where it's all at.
    TABLE: GDN_Comment
    COLUMN: Score
  • Options
    >Would be nice if someone knew where voting votes were stored. I wanted to try expanding off the original idea, but I can't find in the database where it's all at.
    TABLE: GDN_Comment
    COLUMN: Score
    Oh, alright. So there's no real way to get who voted down or up I'm assuming. Alright, well thanks for this information anyways.
  • Options
    Alright, I've managed to get everything done here that I wanted - but I have one last question regarding the voting plugin.

I want discussions to remain sorted by chronological order regardless of votes, and no option to change. I removed the bar containing the tabs, and thought I changed the default - but some members are still saying that voted messages are appearing at the top of the list...