Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

Error on install

I've seen this question answered many times with no answer. I am trying to install the new version of Vanilla, but when I go to the folder I receive the following error:

Parse error: syntax error, unexpected ',', expecting '(' in /home/content/m/a/r/markmac28/html/thewordgang/forum/bootstrap.php on line 64

I DO have php 5.2+ and the correct MySQL version. I don't have Apache version 2 yet. My server is being upgraded soon. Would this be the cause of the issue? I host on my own resellers account through LunarPages.

I have also seen answers to this question related to the .htaccess file. No answer is very clear though, so I don't know what I am doing wrong if anything. I have an already existing .htaccess file handling redirects of my website. When I try to add Vanilla's text to that .htaccess file the redirects don't work. I'm not sure if I'm not using the proper format or what.

I appreciate all your help in advance. Thank you.

Comments

• Options
    LincLinc Detroit Admin
    A parse error almost universally means you don't have the minimum requirements for running the software. Are you sure PHP 5.2 with PDO is what's currently running? Can you make a <?php phpinfo(); ?> page in your Vanilla directory to confirm?

It's entirely possible Vanilla's htaccess rules conflict with whatever other rules you currently have. I recommend putting Vanilla in its own subfolder instead.
  • Options
    I am running PHP 5.2.x - I'm not sure about PDO. What is that and where can I find that info - in cpanel somewhere?

How do I make that file? I'm not experienced with php. Just copy that line and put it in a new php document I'm assuming. Is there a certain name it should be?
  • Options
    LincLinc Detroit Admin
    edited November 2010
    Name the file anything - "test.php" would be fine. Just paste inside of it:
    <?php phpinfo(); ?>
    and drop it in your website, then go to that page in your browser. First, double-check you're actually running 5.2 on that page. Then do a "Find" for 'pdo' and see if it lists pdo_mysql as installed.
  • Options
    Ah ha! No pdo. I didn't see that in the system requirements. Is that something I can get somehow?
  • Options
    LincLinc Detroit Admin
    Probably requires recompiling PHP. I'd talk to your host.
  • Options
    Ok, thank you. I'll do that and report back tomorrow.