Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Vanilla slow when upgrading to php 5.3

SheriffenSheriffen
edited December 2010 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8
Hi!

I have a little bit of an emergency. My host just upgraded from php 5.2.x to 5.3.3 and my entire vanilla site runs really slow. (like 2-3 sec / page) There is nothing wrong with the serverload and with the debugger plugin I can see all the queries are running fast (<0.001 sec)

Our conclusion is that it must be something between vanilla and this php upgrade that doesn't work very well, since it came after the server upgrade.

Does anyone have any idea what it might be? @Todd?

The server has:
cUrl support
GD library
PDO_MySql
file_uploads = on
MySql 5.1

All requirements are met but still there is something wrong?

Try it out at http://www.jesuspeople.se and the phpinfo at http://www.jesuspeople.se/info.php

Thanks!

Comments

• LincLinc Detroit Admin
    Try enabling the Debugging plugin to see if it's query speed.
  • Forgot to mention that.

I enabled the default theme and disabled all plugins but the debugger which shows something like: 22 queries in 0.0213377475739s

and at the bottom:

Page completed in 2.7752s

Something is taking a lot of resources with the default install of vanilla and it happened when they upgraded to php 5.3. That's why I'm posting here, cause it might have to do with the vanilla source and therefor might also happen to others.
  • Ok, further investigation shows that it's the caching that is the problem. The host has problems with writing the cachefiles or any file and therefore loads slow EVERY time instead of the first time when it usually caches.

I've tried the same vanilla install in 3 different hosts and it's only this one that it doesn't work on. Strange cause this is the second largest host in Sweden.

If noone else has this problem I guess it's specific to my host.