Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

Questions about Vanilla Forums

edited March 2011 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8
Hi:

I am considering using Vanilla Forums for an academic research project, where research participants participate in online discussion, and I then analyse the text produced. I wondered if someone can answer these questions for me:

1. Research participants need to be made aware of a formal description of the project and agree to a statement of informed consent. Is it possible so that participations have to have read and "clicked yes" to this before they write anything? If not (as a second best option), would it possible so that they are reminded that submission of text constitutes agreement to this statement on each page of the forum?

2. To what extent would participants be increasing access to their personal data? Would I end up (or Vanilla Forums if I had it hosted there) with IP addresses or anything else like that, other than just username and text? If so, what would these things be? How secure would this be?

Thanks

Dr. Ivo Wengraf
Technical University Munich

Comments

• Options
    LincLinc Detroit Admin
    edited March 2011
    You could do #1 during the signup process using a plugin. You'd need someone with half-decent PHP programming skills and an hour to spare.

Vanilla collects IPs and email addresses. It's only as secure as the server you're on. If you're using Vanilla's hosted service, than the answer is "very." :)