Vanilla 1 is no longer supported or maintained. If you need a copy, you can get it here.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

Now Opera doesn't understand?

edited February 2006 in Vanilla 1.0 Help
Whoa, this is a new twist in my tipsy turn. Working on the site, mainly making all the design to work on FF and then hacking it in for IE, but for some reason, IE has presented everything, and I mean EVERYTHING just like FF does. Which means that I'm very happy camper. But now, a new twist, and this bitch ain't lemon, Opera 8.5 decided to fuck every little thing up. What is this shit? Opera works even more horribly with standards than IE. Good job geniuses! Neat tradeoff tho, I don't give a fuck about Opera, FF and IE are my customers, so if you want to use Opera, you can expect compatibility in the coming months ;D

Comments

• Options
    The wonderful thing about web standards is that they can turn off the CSS and still be able to use the site.
  • Options
    /me swops kosmo's opera and IE icons back and sits giggling.
  • Options
    Well, I guess my sites Opera users will have to turn off the CSS styling, tho there are no BIG problems in the site, just some pictures and paddings are tad off (+-5px). /me unleashes his dancing gir desktop animation on minisweeper
  • Options
    lechlech Chicagoland
    It's things like this which makes me want to chokeslam browser developers. ALL OF THEM.
  • Options
    One thing I hate about FF is the flickering flash elements in pages, it takes forever to load a page with alot of flash objects in it, and the worst is that it freezes the whole browser. It's so bad that I'm thinking of changing my browser to something else, I thought that 1.5 would fix the problem, but it is still here. Anyoe else have the same problem? If you want a good site to test this out, go to www.gamespot.com or www.tv.com they are the worst
  • Options
    opera is actually more standards compliant than firefox. so if it's looking funky then it's likely you've not implemented the css entirely correctly. don't shoot the messenger though lol.
  • Options
    According to the various sources that I have checked, the css is correctly written, Opera needs a hack to show it properly. True, Opera supports grander number of standards than FF, but FF definedly is more fine tuned on the standards it supports. Opera just doesn't seem to present the content correctly.
  • Options
    You should be making things work for Opera and then using conditional statements for IE since Opera will be getting support far more often than IE7 will be.
  • Options
    that's a weird assumption... opera's installed base is a small fraction of IE's. why would you design for the minority to make exceptions for the majority? or am i misunderstanding?
  • Options
    http://www.opera.com/support/online/ http://www.opera.com/support/service/ http://www.opera.com/support/tutorials/ And most importantly, http://www.opera.com/docs/changelogs/?platform=windows Opera came out with 4 updates for Opera in 2005 alone plus the two public Beta tests. Look at the first tier versions (6, 7, 8) to see how they update standards with each release.
  • Options
    yeah, but what does update frequency have to do with what most viewers are using? if you code something that's standards-perfect, and yet the 80+% of your viewers who are using IE have problems with it, it doesn't really matter that IE is broken. your viewers aren't going to care about your quest for spiritual perfection =)
  • Options
    I said you should fix IE with conditional comments. Things will look fine in IE.
  • Options
    carry on *backs out of thread
  • Options
    Everything will be perfect, I will make the sites to support every browser perfectly, visiting this site will be so perfect that it will be like an orgasm. I'm just fairly (100%) sure that Opera is a drooling idiot, since you know what the problem is? It's margin and padding, Opera just throws in few extra pixels compared to FF and even IE, or are Operas pixels more "standard compliant" than everyone elses? I just right now can't agree that Opera is MORE compliant than FF since it has a problem even IE doesn't have, like I said earlier, Opera might support a plethora of standards, but when it fucks the most basic and most often used declarations, it is as good as shit, no, worse than shit, with shit, I don't have to do anything, but with Opera I have to go extra mile.
  • Options
    lechlech Chicagoland
    Kosmo, I think it's fairly safe to say that most browsers get a ton of things wrong. Regardless of which browser it is, it makes you want to chokeslam someone for the hours wasted working around a 1px offset of one element playing against another.
  • Options
    that = truth
  • Options
    Life just aint fair is it. ^_^ I think its time for a Lussumo browser that works... on the other hand, another browser would mean more browser beating... and we cant have that. If I hadn't just found Vanilla I might suggest blowing up the internet as an alternative... :p
  • Options
    Opera < v9 uses padding instead of margins on the body and a couple other elements. Post your site, I bet I can help.
  • Options
    * { margin:0; padding:0; } is your friend. ;-)
  • Options
    Insulting Opera for your weaknesses in design knowledge is pretty weak and pathetic. Opera is more standards compliant, proven by the ACID2 Test.
This discussion has been closed.