Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

XenForo goodies: the trophies feature

candymancandyman ✭✭
edited July 2011 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8
Don't know if this community has discovered XenForo: it's awesome piece of software. It's a pity it's not free. Anyway it could be important for Vanilla's inspiration&improvement too.
A feature I like a lot it's about trophies. Could it be added to Vanilla with a plugin? Or it's a feature that we could find in the future core?
Tagged:

Best Answer

• ToddTodd Chief Product Officer Vanilla Staff
    Answer ✓
    Yup, reputation and rewards are definitely on the team's list of stuff to do.

Answers

• I love the trophy system on my XF board. I'll explain to anyone that doesn't feel like going to the XF board. Trophies are award in points which are displayed in the profile. It's similar to ranks, but more sophisticated. Points are awarded when a user reaches the set criteria. You can select more than one or just one. The options are post count, days registered, likes received, and trophy points. It's kinda a cool system and it makes you want to reach ever more points and more points.

This would be a pretty cool feature to add to Vanilla. Maybe not in the core but at least as an addon.
  • Exactly. I think it's a system that encourages users to post and be creative
    more and more. I have no idea, however, of how complicated could be to create a plugin for this. In XenForo is deeply part of the core.
  • AoleeAolee Hobbyist & Coder ✭✭
    i've updated the top posters add on to award top posters with medals. it's not exactly like XenForo but it's worth a try.
  • Many thanks, I'll give a try. The strength of the xenforo trophies method is that
    you can earn points with the likes of others
    users it's not a simply goal to reach posting anything. It's something that incentive to post in a creative way.
  • LincLinc Detroit Admin
    Reputation & related features are something I have particular interest in. I would say something in this vein is undoubtedly going to happen.
  • ToddTodd Chief Product Officer Vanilla Staff
    Answer ✓
    Yup, reputation and rewards are definitely on the team's list of stuff to do.
  • That's great news!
  • I'd like to see this list. would be good fodder for our discussions here :)
  • Any news? ;)
  • aeryaery Gtricks Forum in 2.2 :) ✭✭✭

Upon your recommendation, I tried Xenforo, and I must say that it is astonishing. Vanilla team must learn something from them. The way they have implemented features and admin control are superb. I loved the simplicity of vanilla but Xenforo is classic.

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• candymancandyman ✭✭
    edited December 2011

Xenforo, without doubt is the King of the hill, at the moment. But it's similar to other forum
    engines. Vanilla is similar only to itself and his design, very clean, is ready for
    customization.
    Xenforo has a bigger community (look at the members online on vanillaforums.org and on xenforo.org
    now...) and, I suppose, more paid technicians that can work on it.
    Vanilla is free and, I guess, with less human resources.
    But, the only things I'm missing, sincerely, is some speed (Xenforo seems a little bit more responsive:
    the innovative way it loads and recalls graphics maybe helps) and a similar way to manage admin advices.
    On Vanilla all features are intuitive and the new ones (like trophies) they are working on don't
    weight the thing.
    Vanilla seems a forum made by Apple, if you intend what I mean... ;)
    Personally, I was undecided until the last but in the end, thanks to the saved money and to
    this community also, I decided to change. To change for real.

• jspautschjspautsch Themester ✭✭✭

I suppose it's alright, not all that innovative.

• It's coded with Facebook and Twitter in mind.

• aeryaery Gtricks Forum in 2.2 :) ✭✭✭

Agreed. But upon having a look at this I suppose XenForo is no different than vanilla. Just few more improvements to vanilla core and with the help of other developers, we will be riding cloud 9.

There was an error rendering this rich post.