HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Let users choose which theme they want to use

edited September 2011 in Feedback
This would be a nice option to have, and it's a common feature of other forums. I haven't seen any addons for this yet either.

Comments

• LincLinc Detroit Admin
    That's probably not likely to happen in the near-term, sorry. I could see making a plugin that adds an extra stylesheet easily, but full-blown theme switching isn't a goal right now (at least for the dev team - you're of course welcome to have the plugin built!).
  • exeticoexetico New
    edited July 2015

@Linc said:
    That's probably not likely to happen in the near-term, sorry. I could see making a plugin that adds an extra stylesheet easily, but full-blown theme switching isn't a goal right now (at least for the dev team - you're of course welcome to have the plugin built!).

Hello @Linc

Here four years after you're comment, i am thinking about doing it somehow. We have a lot of users, and migrating from another platform. Do you have any suggestions on how we're working it out, the best way?

I'm thinking about using bootstrap basetheme, cause of the easy way to customize. Guess a CSS-file for each themes, will be enough. Have you any suggestions? Will wait for your reply :-)

• LincLinc Detroit Admin

If all you need is a CSS file, I'd recommend simply selectively using addCssFile() with a per-user option rather than switching the entire theme.

• exeticoexetico New
    edited September 2015

@Linc said:
    If all you need is a CSS file, I'd recommend simply selectively using addCssFile() with a per-user option rather than switching the entire theme.

Well, that's a good idea too. Thanks for your reply! I forgot all about It, but saw it then I updated my account.

Cause of the migration from esoTalk to Vanilla, I did try to build the option by myself (With support from another friend).

Check it out :
    http://vanillaforums.org/addon/themechooser-plugin

It's very basic right now, but we're planning adding some functions in the future. Right now we're running with the Bootstrap theme, and choosing the custom themes with the new plugin. In the future, we will try to do it in a better way, and ofc. add some options in the Dashboard, for better management (choosing the enabled custom themes etc?). I clearly remember my first look at Joomla years ago, and the settings pages normally means a lot for the basic user. I'm also one of the small dudes, trying to made just the basics.