Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Mass Deleting Applicants

Spambots have been after my forum, and I have literally THOUSANDS of applicants. Any way to mass delete them, and then prevent this from occurring in the future?

Answers

• The spambots have a certain role in your database, probably "applicant"
    Check the IP or something else of your applicants. Maybe they have something in common.
    What you want to do is
    Delete from users where role = "applicant" BUT you do not want to delete the REAL applicants, so you want to find something that the spammers have in common.

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• Or you can just go into the database and delete them there
  • phreakphreak Vanilla*APP (White Label) & Vanilla*Skins Shop MVP
    Same for me, but i think it should be a default functionality for batch delete users. I have a bout 10 spam-bot registrations every day. They don't know how to post in the forum but to but still they are posting links and comments active on the activity wall.
    • VanillaAPP | iOS & Android App for Vanilla - White label app for Vanilla Forums OS
    • VanillaSkins | Plugins, Themes, Graphics and Custom Development for Vanilla
  • i second the request
  • third this request.
  • Delete * from users where (find something the spammers have in common)
    It's that easy.
    If you want it as a feature functionality, post a feature request on gitHub
    If you want it as a plugin, make a plugin.

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• oliverraduneroliverraduner Contributing to Vanilla since 2010 Switzerland ✭✭

In my case, there is no "role" column in the user table based on which I could remove my Spam-Applicants. Anyway, I figured out that every User with UserID > 55 was a fake applicant. I used the following two MySQL statements to clean them up directly in the database:

DELETE FROM GDN_User WHERE UserID > 55;
    DELETE FROM GDN_UserRole WHERE UserID > 55;

Worked perfectly. Cheers

• @bengreenfield

@UnderDog said:
    The spambots have a certain role in your database, probably "applicant"
    Check the IP or something else of your applicants. Maybe they have something in common.
    What you want to do is
    Delete from users where role = "applicant" BUT you do not want to delete the REAL applicants, so you want to find something that the spammers have in common.

check out.
    http://vanillaforums.org/addon/cleanser-plugin

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• Used this Cleanser plugin but it deleted even real applicants. @pereggrine, can we have some thing that enables the admin to mass select the applicants with a radio button with a delete feature? I'm sure..that plugin or add-on would be a smash hit :)

• hgtonighthgtonight ∞ · New Moderator

@Chiprang In the applicants page, you can click on the column title Action to automatically select all the check boxes.

I really need to get that plugin tested and published.

Search first

Check out the Documentation! We are always looking for new content and pull requests.

Click on insightful, awesome, and funny reactions to thank community volunteers for their valuable posts.

• @Chiprang said:
    Used this Cleanser plugin but it deleted even real applicants. pereggrine, can we have some thing that enables the admin to mass select the applicants with a radio button with a delete feature? I'm sure..that plugin or add-on would be a smash hit :)

thats why I wrote instructions on how to use the plugin. And thats why you have a file you can edit to remove who you don't want to delete from the list.

If you start messing with checkboxes, you will have the same problem that is already in the dashboard, when you try to delete 10,000 users via individual checkboxes.

The key is to maintain your site instead of being an absentee landlord and waiting for 10000 spammers and to install the botstop plugin, and then you can use the dashboard applicants when there is a reasonable number.

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• "If you start messing with checkboxes, you will have the same problem that is already in the dashboard, when you try to delete 10,000 users via individual checkboxes."

No, it's not the same problem at all. Right now, I have to click on the link for the user's profile, wait for the profile page to load, click delete user, wait for the confirm delete dialog to load, click confirm ... I have to do this for every single spammer. With Checkboxes, I could select 50 of them at a time and click delete, with no page reload. This is much, much, much faster.

I have 80+ spammers per day applying. This is not about being an "absentee landlord". I check it every day, but it takes far too long to remove them all with the current setup. Please listen to what your users are saying -- make it where we can mass delete spam users.

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited October 2013

search and you shall find....

a way to implement some better methods to reduce spam and

you can mass delete with bulkedit plugin.

I have 80+ spammers per day applying.

I suggest you use botstop and this plugin if you are using approval

http://vanillaforums.org/addon/1139/registration-restrict-logger

other people have other suggestions - use what you feel you want to use.

If none of the solutions work for you, If you want to write yourself a custom plugin or you could possibly hire someone, i suggest x00 as the developer and just propose a pledge amount. Or look on elance and hire someone.

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited October 2013

@jrtayloriv said:

peregrine said: "If you start messing with checkboxes, you will have the same problem that is already in the dashboard, when you try to delete 10,000 users via individual checkboxes."

No, it's not the same problem at all

wait till you have 10,000 spam applicants let me know how checkboxes works for you.

also here is a bulk editor by hgtonight that people seem to like.

http://vanillaforums.org/addon/bulkedit-plugin