Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

[Solved] Auto approving current members

edited October 2011 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8
Hi,

I'm currently using Vanilla 2.0.17.9 and I turned on the approve all new users on registration feature.

However, all current members now need approval and there are 2000+ of them. I can't get the applicant page to load at all.

Is there a way to have current members be pre-approved?

Thank you!
Tagged:

Best Answer

• Options
    Answer ✓
    Hi, I figured out the problem. In ./conf/config.php:

$Configuration['Garden']['Registration']['ApplicantRoleID'] = '4';

was set to the incorrect role. It should have been 7 in my forum.

Thanks for the help.

Answers

• Options
    LincLinc Detroit Admin
    edited October 2011
    If you haven't messed around with your roles, you could try running this SQL query if you have access to your database (like via phpMyAdmin).

Important:

1) BACK UP YOUR DATABASE FIRST. (export it with a SQL dump via phpMyAdmin)

2) This strictly a last resort. This short-circuits the normal approval process and may do weird things.

3) This ONLY WORKS if you have the default roles (Applicant, Member, etc) exactly as they were when you installed. This is NOT going to work for IMPORTS, either.

Here's the query:

update GDN_UserRole set RoleID = 8 WHERE RoleID = 4;
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    Hi,

Actually, when someone signs up, they are set to the REGISTERED role right now, so members can sign in and post right away.

I think they need to be set as NEWLY_REGISTERED when they sign up instead? How do I change the db/code so that it will work that way?

These are the current roles that are in the db:
    GUESTS
    REGISTERED
    REGISTERED_COPPA
    GLOBAL_MODERATORS
    ADMINISTRATORS
    BOTS
    NEWLY_REGISTERED

Thank you for the earlier reply!
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    Sorry I have to bump this, but we have currently no way to moderate new users and spam is getting out of control.
  • Options
    Well didn't you turn on approve all users???

grep is your friend.

• Options
    edited October 2011
    I did but it is not working.

http://i.imgur.com/q84uF.png

In this image, you can see that moderation has been turned on, yet users are still active. We've gotten spam from users that registered after I turned on the option.

http://i.imgur.com/UjrIn.png

Also, the interface is saying that everyone who is registered already needs to be approved.

Is there anything else that needs to be done?

Thanks
  • Options
    You are not understanding me. You should be able to set new registrants as applications or email.

grep is your friend.

• Options
    Answer ✓
    Hi, I figured out the problem. In ./conf/config.php:

Thanks for the help.
  • Options
    Look better at the replies to your problems next time. I see a perfect reply from Lincoln about 10 comments above your comment that you fixed your own problem. By perfect I mean the fact that he pointed out exactly what to do.

There was an error rendering this rich post.