HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

Almost decided to use Vanilla...almost

edited November 2011 in Feedback
I had my forum software choice down to two, Vanilla and another one. Installed Vanilla tonight and started to quickly play.

Broken it right out of the box, with no template/code changes whatsoever...
Fatal error: Class 'CategoryModel' not found in /forum/applications/vanilla/settings/structure.php on line 60

Really not impressed. Only had to press one link for it all to break down.

Comments

• Options

grep is your friend.

• Options
    x00x00 MVP
    edited November 2011
    Generally if you want somethign that is quite pliable and adaptable, so long as you don't mind getting your hands dirty every now and then then vanilla is a good match. If you want something more standard then go for something else.

The stage vanilla is in development, is such that it is not totally refined.

There was a ruby forum called beast, that only had 500 lines of code. Still is a fork called savage beast. Pretty good concept. However most people would have struggled to install, let alone develop it. That is not a criticism of beast, it is simply that people expect out of the box software, when actually a lot of software people have to install all the prerequisites and dependencies. All development is through Engines which like a whole other approach.

Vanilla is a little less stripped down, but that doesn't mean Breast isn't really powerful in the right hands. It is all a question of what you are hoping to achieve.

grep is your friend.

• Options
    ChrisGwynne welcome to the forums. The problem you faced is solved with version 2.0.18 and that version is in RC stage. If you're willing to wait till the final comes, that's fine. If not, sad to see you go.
    We're working hard on Vanilla and will do so in the future.
    When you're running away though if you hit one little problem, then you will probably run away again when you face your next problem or for example when you cannot find the view to edit, locale to translate etc.
    In that case out-of-the-box standard phpBB / vBulletin / breast forums are the right forums for you.
    If you're willing to post problems and find solutions and get your hands dirty now and then, vanilla is your forum software to keep.

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• Options
    LincLinc Detroit Admin
    edited November 2011
    @ChrisGwynne That's terrible. The worst part is, that's a known bug in 2.0.17.10 and we've taken too long to get the next version out.

I'm going to release 2.0.18 from RC to stable today. I hope you'll give it a shot.

//edit: http://vanillaforums.org/discussion/17643
  • Options
    What happened to RC3?

grep is your friend.

• Options
    LincLinc Detroit Admin
    edited November 2011
    What happened to RC3?
    It was released Monday. The RC process has already stretched quite long.
  • Options
    doh! I missed that at the top.

grep is your friend.