Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

[Resolved] Another novice question...

edited November 2011 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8
As I mentioned in a previous thread, I'm checking out Vanilla as a possible forum for my website. I played around with it for a few days and thought things were going along pretty well, that is until I tried to upgrade to 2.0.18...

Maybe it's me, maybe it's my server, maybe it's the web authoring software I use, but I can't even begin to figure out how to upgrade with the instructions provided on this site.

Can anyone provide me with a link that has detailed, step by step, instructions on upgrading? I like most of what I've seen so far, but am worried that I'll lose everything the first time I try to upgrade.

Thanks in advance... Mike

Best Answer

• Options
    TimTim Operations Vanilla Staff
    Answer ✓
    Mike,

Seems like you're in a little over your head. I'd like to have a look at your server, if you don't mind, and see what you've done. Perhaps I can help you hands-on.

Send me a PM if you'd like my help. Include your server login information.

Tim

Vanilla Forums COO [GitHub, Twitter, About.me]

Answers

• Options
    422422 Developer MVP
    http://vanillaforums.org/docs/installation-upgrade

Not the most comprehensive, but it's fairly easy.

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• Options
    LincLinc Detroit Admin
    I mean if it's just a test site with nothing valuable on it, just copy the new files over the old ones on your server, then go to /utility/update under your forum.
  • Options
    Won't that overwrite the discussions and forum formatting?
  • Options
    not if you created a theme rather than editing the core files.

grep is your friend.

• Options
    edited November 2011
    not if you created a theme rather than editing the core files.
    This is the type of explanation I'm having problems with, those posts containing "geek speak". Are you talking about constructing an alternate theme rather than using the default themes (I'm using the standard embed theme)? Or are you saying that any changes I make to the site after choosing a standard theme will not be touched when I overwrite my files with the downloaded upgrade?
  • Options
    If I weren't a musician (limited funds) and doing this as free service for the music community, I'd have Vanilla Forums host my board. As I can't afford to shell out 600.00 a year to provide this public service, I'm frustrated. I really like most things about Vanilla, especially the way forum members can interact with each other, but I may be in over my head...
  • Options
    x00x00 MVP
    edited November 2011
    If you haven't created a theme already, what have you changed, that you are worrying about loosing?

I interpreted your post to mean layout and styling. Explain what you mean.

It is always worth making a copy of the forum folder, and also backing up you database if you are not sure.

grep is your friend.

• Options
    I have "chosen" a theme (Embed Friendly) not "created" a theme. What am I worried about losing? Everything...

Here's what I tried:

. Back up your database, uploads/ folder and conf/config.php

I assumed this meant to copy these file to my computer so I could later import the data back into the site. I did this.

. Upload your new version of Vanilla 2

Here's where it all fell apart. When I tried to directly upload the new version to my server, the deletion of the some of the old files "failed" during the overwrite process. As I had copied the entire original Vanilla folder to my desktop as a backup, I deleted the folder on my server and uploaded this backup folder. I cleared the cache in my browser and tried to connect; I got the "bonk" message and nothing I tried could get me up and running again.

I'm thinking that the problem might lie in my server. I uploaded Vanilla directly from a list of "applications" on their site. This meant I had no mirror on my own computer (a Mac) and had to make all the "layout and styling" changes via my browser. I've never approached building a website in this manner before. I've always built and maintained websites on my computer, uploading the files only after I was finished with. This way I knew I'd never lose anything. The same held true for the upgrade process; I knew I wouldn't lose anything. Apparently I'm not a fan of working in the "cloud"...

Sorry for being so obtuse, this whole idea of uploading an "application" (Vanilla) and then operating it from a server is very foreign (and frustrating) to me.

Mike
  • Options
    TimTim Operations Vanilla Staff
    Answer ✓
    Mike,

Seems like you're in a little over your head. I'd like to have a look at your server, if you don't mind, and see what you've done. Perhaps I can help you hands-on.

Send me a PM if you'd like my help. Include your server login information.

Tim

Vanilla Forums COO [GitHub, Twitter, About.me]

• Options
    I tried loading to a different server and was prompted to set up a database. This did not happen on my first server (they apparently automate this process when you load the program from their menu of compatible apps). This answers my questions, I appreciate all for their advice...

Mike