HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Running a successful Vanilla forum with 3500+ members.. any questions?

2»

Comments

• x00x00 MVP
    edited November 2011
    Many universities use .ac, then you have country codes. .ac.uk

grep is your friend.

• RaizeRaize vancouver ✭✭
    @Anonymoose I've thought about that, but there are a lot of prospective students that visit the forum as they are researching which university to go to, so they wouldn't have a university email yet. Especially those students who come from out of province or overseas. For now it's getting the job done, I get about 5 spam applicants and 2 real applicants per day and it only takes a few seconds to approve or decline them.
    @Todd

I'm not sure why it happened, but I did it when the importer was first released. It was a bit of a tradeoff at the time, but search engine traffic is strong now so I'm guessing it was some sort of pagerank issue on Google's end.
    edited November 2011
    @zippylistings

There are a lot of businesses on campus, and the plan was to approach them to advertise on the site, but I graduated before I had the time to do that. So now I advertise my own services on there for the time being :) If you are working on any real estate products I would definitely love to hear about them. I am working on a real estate forum using Vanilla for my next forum.
  • ToddTodd Chief Product Officer Vanilla Staff
    I think @422 runs a bunch or real estate forums @Raize. You two should start a discussion about just that if you wish.
  • 422422 Developer MVP
    We do have a real estate forum, yet to be launched though. Happy as always to help. Thanks for the mention @todd

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• mclovinmclovin New
    edited November 2011
    @Raize, very inspiring.

By the way, is that an embedded vanilla or vanilla installed within the /forum directory and UI hacked?

I am planning to work on another community site and I am wondering between wordpress/vanilla and buddypress. But I liked the way yours is done.
    edited December 2011

It's just a Vanilla theme designed to match with the default Wordpress theme. See it here. I don't like to use embedding because then the forum threads don't get indexed properly with the rest of the site.

Go with Wordpress/Vanilla or Vanilla/Nillablog. I am going to ditch Wordpress for my next site and use Vanilla as the CMS. Community is the keyword.

• Thanks @Raize. I evaluated embedded vanilla and decided to go against it for SEO reasons. Vanilla/Nillablog with a custom theme sounds like a good idea.