Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

Why markdown?

Answers

• Options
    ToddTodd Chief Product Officer Vanilla Staff

Good catch.

• Options
    422422 Developer MVP
    edited December 2011

so this is emphasis ( * emphasis * ) - without the spaces

this is strong emphasis ( ** emphasis ** )

Orderer Lists

1. apple
    2. banana
    3. cheese

Example Link : example link done using example link - without the spaces

Ok I can live with this. Nice work guys.

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• Options
    x00x00 MVP
    edited November 2011

Lists need an extra newline

1. item
    2. item

grep is your friend.

• Options
    422422 Developer MVP
    edited December 2011

I couldnt get ordered list to work properly, putting spaces between each li rendered wrong, perhas because i re edited.

1. Hello
    2. World
    3. Domination

• Options
    1. item
      kjlk
      kjk

2. item

the reason it renders wrong is v is default br rather than p orientated

grep is your friend.

• Options

In markdown you need to also think of lists, blockquotes, pre blocks as paragraphs. That is, you need to put an empty line between them.

Code

This will give me a list:

1. Apples
    2. Oranges

This will not give me a list:
    1. Apples
    2. Oranges.

Output

This will give me a list:

1. Apples
    2. Oranges

This will not give me a list:
    1. Apples
    2. Oranges.

• Options

With regards to x00's list. If you want to Have multiple paragraphs in your list then do the following:

1. item

kjlk

kjk
     2. item

1. item

kjlk

kjk

2. item

The list has four spaces indenting the following items which is correct. You'll also notice that Markdown does not put <br /> tags in paragraphs which is a good thing. However, if you want to put breaks in a paragraph, list, whatever then end the line with two spaces before hitting return.

1. item
      kjlk
      kjk
    2. item
  • Options
    LincLinc Detroit Admin

@Todd Thought about using GitHub-flavored Markdown? It makes a few things easier (like the line breaking).

• Options
    via Email
    I didn't know there was that difference in github's markdown. I actually like the difficulty that markdown gives in adding br tags. We add br tags in our html parser because it is difficult to add proper paragraphs. Believe me, I've tried.

I don't want to go hastily changing things after people start typing weird test cases that don't reflect actual use.
  • Options
    LincLinc Detroit Admin
  • Options

Github markdown looks pretty neat, I'll have to admit. I think spoilers will be what I implement first though.

• Options

thing like spoilers, excerpt, etc, don't represent specific mark-up. I think wordpress method of short codes might come in handy.

that will allow you to apply short codes over a range of formatters.

grep is your friend.

• Options
    sahotataransahotataran Developer, Bay Area - CA ✭✭✭
    edited December 2011

x00 said:
    thing like spoilers, excerpt, etc, don't represent specific mark-up. I think wordpress method of short codes might come in handy.

that will allow you to apply short codes over a range of formatters.

was trying to quote.
    older quoting was better - original commentor was tagged

• Options

After a change most things are better, some things are worse, but in the end que sera, sera.

• Options

Todd said:
    We may add support for textile in the future. That's the final one of the big four.

There is one possibility to see that in the next release ov Vanilla or it's not a priority.
    I'm leaving BBcode for XHTML but I'd switch to textile (that I use in my blog) if it will be released quite soon...

• Options

I really don't see the point at all going towards Markdown nor Textile. By all means have the option, but preferring the formatting when it is less versatile makes no sense.

If the button bar just put the html with the rel attribute, you are saving yourself a lot of hassle with better results. At the moment it is too temperamental and the newlines get a pretty tedious.

The BBCode parse shipped with vanllia is very crude, it isn't really something that should be used. What is wrong with just simply using xhtml, then if you like a little textile or markdown where it is actually useful.

grep is your friend.

• Options

Anything that is a convenience/quicktag tag, not representing standard markup, should be implemented through a convenience tag method.

grep is your friend.

• Options
    candymancandyman ✭✭
    edited December 2011

< spoiler >

for the Spoiler plugin?

I understand what you mean. I thinked about textile cause in my textpattern forum I Use that and 'cause the shift from XHTML (that was peculiar for Vanilla) to Markdown has surprised me a lot. I thought that if the official Vanilla forum change his mind was due to security issues.

Thanks for explanation: hope this may be useful to other people.

• Options

I'm always writing two things that are a pain in the butt in html: ordered lists and unordered lists. It drives me crazy writing those. The added ease of the simple bold and italics is just icing on the cake.

Our choice for Markdown on this forum is just that: our choice.

• Options

Received.

BTW, interesting read: Textile Vs. Markdown