Users running a non-download version of Vanilla (pulled from github), on branch release/2019.016 or master from the last 2 weeks should upgrade to release/2019.017 or latest master for security reasons. Downloaded official open sources releases are not affected.
Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.

Information Location

This discussion is related to the AboutMe addon.

just a quick question; is it possible to display the given infos that a user gave somewhere else than in the profile tab? like in the user info of a post?

Comments

  • sahotataransahotataran Developer, Bay Area - CA ✭✭✭

    Yes the values can be retrieved and displayed anywhere. You will have to create some custom theme hooks for that

  • thank you sir! can you tell me a bit more about how its done?

  • hbfhbf wiki guy? MVP

    best way to figure out how it is done is to look at the how the plugin-itself displays the information. that pretty much gives you everything you need to port it to a theme or custom plugin.

    sahotataran
  • sahotataransahotataran Developer, Bay Area - CA ✭✭✭
    edited December 2011

    hbf said:
    best way to figure out how it is done is to look at the how the plugin-itself displays the information. that pretty much gives you everything you need to port it to a theme or custom plugin.

    Yup like Ritulu - hbf said we always start with how the original code works :)

    Hope hbf doesn't mind me calling him Ritulu :)

  • hbfhbf wiki guy? MVP

    sahotataran said:

    hbf said:
    best way to figure out how it is done is to look at the how the plugin-itself displays the information. that pretty much gives you everything you need to port it to a theme or custom plugin.

    Yup like Ritulu - hbf said we always start with how the original code works :)

    Hope hbf doesn't mind me calling him Ritulu :)

    it makes me more worldly.

  • i tried that, looked it up and used parts of this:

    <?php } else { // else display the page // Define variables for data $RealName = $this->AboutMe->RealName; $NickName = $this->AboutMe->OtName; $Quote = $this->AboutMe->Quote; $BD = $this->AboutMe->BD; $HideBD = $this->AboutMe->HideBD; $HideBY = $this->AboutMe->HideBY; $RelationshipStatus = $this->AboutMe->RelStat; $Quote = $this->AboutMe->Quote; $Location = $this->AboutMe->Loc; $Employer = $this->AboutMe->Emp; $JobTitle = $this->AboutMe->JobTit; $HighSchool = $this->AboutMe->HS; $College = $this->AboutMe->Col; $Interests = $this->AboutMe->Inter; $Music =$this->AboutMe->Mus; $Games = $this->AboutMe->Gam; $Movies = $this->AboutMe->Mov; $TV = $this->AboutMe->TV; $Books = $this->AboutMe->Bks; $Biography = $this->AboutMe->Bio; $UserName = $this->User->Name; $Photo = $this->User->Photo; ?>

    <

    div class="aboutme">

    <?php if(!empty($this->AboutMe->OtName )){ // if the column OtName isn't empty, display: ?> <?php } ?>
    <?php echo $this->AboutMe->RealName ?>A.K.A. <?php echo $this->AboutMe->OtName; ?>

    <?php

    but it came out with...NOTHING :/

  • hbfhbf wiki guy? MVP

    RedTwentyFour said:
    i tried that, looked it up and used parts of this:

    <?php > } else { // else display the page > // Define variables for data > $RealName = $this->AboutMe->RealName; > $NickName = $this->AboutMe->OtName; > $Quote = $this->AboutMe->Quote; > $BD = $this->AboutMe->BD; > $HideBD = $this->AboutMe->HideBD; > $HideBY = $this->AboutMe->HideBY; > $RelationshipStatus = $this->AboutMe->RelStat; > $Quote = $this->AboutMe->Quote; > $Location = $this->AboutMe->Loc; > $Employer = $this->AboutMe->Emp; > $JobTitle = $this->AboutMe->JobTit; > $HighSchool = $this->AboutMe->HS; > $College = $this->AboutMe->Col; > $Interests = $this->AboutMe->Inter; > $Music =$this->AboutMe->Mus; > $Games = $this->AboutMe->Gam; > $Movies = $this->AboutMe->Mov; > $TV = $this->AboutMe->TV; > $Books = $this->AboutMe->Bks; > $Biography = $this->AboutMe->Bio; > $UserName = $this->User->Name; > $Photo = $this->User->Photo; > > > > ?>

    <

    div class="aboutme">

    > > > <?php if(!empty($this->AboutMe->OtName )){ // if the column OtName isn't empty, display: ?> > > <?php } ?> > >
    <?php echo $this->AboutMe->RealName ?>A.K.A. <?php echo $this->AboutMe->OtName; ?>

    <?php

    but it came out with...NOTHING :/

    you need to get the right object and replace
    $this with the proper object.

  • the profile has it as "$this->User->" and AboutMe plugin has it as "$this->AboutMe->" or do you mean the include($this->FetchViewLocation('user')); ?

  • sahotataransahotataran Developer, Bay Area - CA ✭✭✭

    Nope. It's about including that class and $this refers to that class. You might have to include aboutme module and then use it's $this and then use it

Sign In or Register to comment.