Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

Comment system help

CaioCaio
edited April 2012 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8

I need help with the comment system. On my site, Apple Monster, I am using the comment system self hosted. It is Wordpress, but the comment system has a ridicously big iframe. I was wondering if there was a way to fix this and make it self expanding like Cult of Mac's without using the script (I can't code javascript, I tried to learn but couldn't). If there isn't, can someone help me with the script to post to the forum like the plugin?

Best Answer

• Options
    422422 Developer MVP
    Answer ✓

lol k sorry your on your own. I havent got the time or indeed patience for replies like that

There was an error rendering this rich post.

Answers

• Options
    CaioCaio
    edited April 2012

The vanilla embed plugin makes it a bit smaller, but doesn't make it the correct size. I was hoping I didn't have to use this plugin because every plugin make the site slower

• Options
    422422 Developer MVP

Looks cool... Can you post pic of what you WANT it to look like

• Options
    422422 Developer MVP
    edited April 2012

Clear as mud, please use image tags when posting image, just click the landscape icon on a post.

You want to close the vanilla logo up to underneath your comment box!

• Options
    CaioCaio
    edited April 2012

Ok thank you for the info, didn't notice the image tag.
    And no, make the iframe smaller. If that's what you meant, sorry didn't understand.

• Options
    422422 Developer MVP

Your iframe is set to a height of 1000px

change to 100%

eg.
    iframe id="vanilla92329" width="100%" scrolling="no" height="100%"

• Options
    CaioCaio
    edited April 2012

didn't work, the submit button became hidden Edit: I mean the box became so small, the button was gone.

• Options
    422422 Developer MVP

try this:

there are two places to change height:

< iframe id="vanilla1727" width="100%" scrolling="no" height="300px" name="vanilla1727" src="http://forums.applemonster.co/index.php?p=/vanilla/discussion/embed/?vanilla_discussion_id=0&amp;vanilla_identifier=51&amp;vanilla_type=page&amp;vanilla_name=&amp;vanilla_url=http://www.applemonster.co/2012/04/10/how-to-delete-your-instagram-account/&amp;vanilla_body=&amp;vanilla_category_id=2" style="width: 100%; border: 0pt none; display: block; height: 300px;" >

• Options

Sorry if i'm bothering you, but now it doesn't self expand anymore

• Options
    422422 Developer MVP

did you embed this yourself, or is this STOCK from vanilla...

Because your comments ( replies ) are outside of the iframe... it appears... the iframe itself doesnt look like it is constructed properly.

• Options

I got it from the Wordpress plugin by Vanilla

• Options
    I may be totally off base but you have this
    <textarea class="TextBox" cols="100" rows="6" name="Comment/Body" id="Form_Body" style="overflow: hidden; display: block;"></textarea>

change the rows to 4, also possibly change the lineheight for the text box

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• Options

Peregrine, didn't work

• Options

you changed the css or the html somewhere - where? Is there a statement that you can find that sets the rows.

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• Options

I didn't change it to go live, I just changed it with firebug.

• Options
    peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited April 2012

well! there you go. It won't show in firebug. It's not css - its hard coded into your form html isn't it.

• Options
    CaioCaio
    edited April 2012

i'm afraid I'm not following you. Why doesn't it show in firebug? Also, how do I edit it?

• Options
    peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited April 2012

Aren't you changing css characteristics in firebug. You are not changing hardcoded html I don't believe firebug can change the rows properly - also sometimes there is a problem in fire bug with frames. your choice to see if it works - change the html or don't, it doesn't matter to me.

• Options

I tried it with both firebug and built in firefox inspector and neither worked

• Options
    422422 Developer MVP

Mate.

Firebog makes changes LOCAL to you ONLY !

To see REMOTE changes you need to edit the actual files, and re upload them to your server, so that they may take effect