Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

Redactor Editor Plugin

13»

Answers

• Options
    rasteronrasteron forum.rastercode.com ✭✭
    edited February 2015

@R_J
    Thanks. Yes, I'm also familiar and have started working on Trumbowyg and might put this for Bountysource as well..

So if you receive 300$, nothing will happen but people have paid you 300$. But, like whu606 said, there is no real need for such a plugin. So why should I pay anyway?

Bountysource offers flexible funding, so even though the deadline is reached it will still continue accepting donations for fundraiser projects. They made the 30 day expiration thing their default time frame. If this still poses as a trust issue, I'd be glad to create milestone projects.

And maybe you should add that 500$ alone will be needed for the propper license from Imperavi.

Yes, I have thought about that before and it is still a good idea. =)

Noted on those features, @Bleistivt I also like the simplicity of having few and significant buttons/styles. =)

• Options
    R_JR_J Ex-Fanboy Munich Admin
    edited February 2015

@rasteron said:
    Moving on, I'm quite familiar with Redactor and a bit surprised that this is not yet implemented on Vanilla.

There are quite a lot WYSIWYG editors out there and implementing Redactor will cost 500$ for the license. That are 501 very good reasons ;)

I would say the in place editing is a really nice feature of Redactor but that might be important for a CMS and not needed for a forum where users expect to write in textareas. I do not know any forum that has a Redactor plugin.

EDIT: license is "only" 499$ so only 500 good reasons...

• Options
    edited February 2015

Yup, that would be for the whole plugin project, not just one individual or company. As their licensing OEM states:

OEM, Unlimited domains

• Integrate with open source projects
    • Integrate with projects
      for both end users and developers

• Integration on unlimited websites

So if I made this plugin for Vanilla, it will be under that license and will be covered on that particular project. Community and new users will still benefit from it, still not a bad bargain I should say ;)

There are quite a lot WYSIWYG editors out there

just found a few but honestly not that good. I've tried them "ALL" and still looking for the right one that looks simple and nice. =)

oh and just curious, why is the default editor in this forum not available for plugin download? ;) It looks good but I guess it's for premium cloud vanilla service, right?

Anyway, I will leave this as it is but still feel free to suggest anything as I'm open to new ideas.

cheers.

• Options

@R_J

I do not know any forum that has a Redactor plugin.

You'd be surprised that there are a lot of site and forum owners out there who want anything but the best visually and performance wise. ;)

• Options
    whu606whu606 I'm not a SuperHero; I just like wearing tights... MVP

@rasteron

As I suggested earlier, afaIk the Vanilla team do plan to release this forum's toolbar in the not too distant future.

• Options

@rasteron said:
    oh and just curious, why is the default editor in this forum not available for plugin download? ;) It looks good but I guess it's for premium cloud vanilla service, right?

It is not compatible with 2.1, but will be included in the next release.

It was available in the vanilla/vanilla repo until recently, but I think the branch fell behind so it was deleted. Until then, you can still find it in forks.

• Options

@whu606 @Bleistivt

ah great. thanks! This is awesome news, sorry if I missed that.

still the topic is about Redactor, so this just leaves for those who would still be interested in having this plugin work and I just thought I'd pitched this first to the official Vanilla community before other groups or clients that I know.

Thank you all. =)

• Options
    hgtonighthgtonight ∞ · New Moderator

@rasteron thanks for posting!

New projects show more people are interested in Vanilla, which is a win in my book. :)

Search first

Check out the Documentation! We are always looking for new content and pull requests.

Click on insightful, awesome, and funny reactions to thank community volunteers for their valuable posts.

• Options

I'm curious about this:

License will be either MIT or GPLv2, excluding Imperavi's own licensing terms.

Does that really work? It sounds to me like that violates the copyleft principle.

• Options

@hgtonight hey thanks! :)

• Options

@Bleistivt The project would have to buy the OEM license to get a GPLv2 compatible license from Imperavi.

Anyone can release their software under multiple licenses. IANAL, obviously, and YMMV.

Search first

Check out the Documentation! We are always looking for new content and pull requests.

Click on insightful, awesome, and funny reactions to thank community volunteers for their valuable posts.

• Options

I think the problem is this:

http://imperavi.com/redactor/license/

License holder and license holder’s clients should use it fairly; Imperavi LLC still holds all the copyrights for Software code, Software code does not become open source, and we solely determine "fair use" of the Software.

But it looks like you can do it:
    http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html#FSWithNFLibs

(They don't like it but oh well)

• Options
    edited February 2015

@Bleistivt

Does that really work? It sounds to me like that violates the copyleft principle.

That part I first mentioned is without acquiring the proper OEM licensing (just the plugin) but it would be a good idea and as R_J suggested, to add the license cost to the plugin project. The MIT/GPLv2 is only a proposed license and we could confirm what's the best licensing to use with Imperavi. It does say in their OEM plan that it can be used for opensource projects. ;)

• Options

I just read that too, @Bleistivt :lol:

What I don't get is how can they give you the source code and then claim it isn't "open source". I get that it isn't "free", but it is definitely "open source".

If this were me, I would literally not mess with the headache.

Search first

• Options

Yeah I agree guys, it's kind of confusing. This also reminds me of Unreal Engine 4, which is another and a huge opensource(sort of) project and is currently subscription based.

• Options

I've got to say that I've been underwhelmed by the choice of editor's I've seen for Vanilla. I've tried every single one I can get my hands on, and they all have some good things, but nothing is perfect.

This editor for example doesn't have a height adjustment and I hate how you visibly see the mark-up tags when editing. It makes me feel like I'm on Reddit. heh.

Others, when you view source just look horrible and end up being a massive spaghetti html code nightmare.

WordPress' editor has always struck me as quite nice.

Anyway I know this is off-topic, just putting my 2 pennies in on editors in Vanilla.

• Options

@Sicnus

I've got to say that I've been underwhelmed by the choice of editor's I've seen for Vanilla. I've tried every single one I can get my hands on, and they all have some good things, but nothing is perfect.

yea, I couldn't agree more.

• Options

First this need to be split from this discussion, so you can have a fresh one.

I strongly suggest you look at the newer editor plugins, as there are now universal hooks for editor boxes, as opposed to normal text bexes.

grep is your friend.

• Options

@x00

ok sounds good