Vanilla 1 is no longer supported or maintained. If you need a copy, you can get it here.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

Move discussion to another categories or delete it?

uziuzi
edited February 2007 in Vanilla 1.0 Help
Are there any extensions for this?

Comments

• Options
    uziuzi
    edited April 2006
    the same problem: http://lussumo.com/vanilladev/discussion/40/move-a-discussion-to-a-new-category-possible/ for new discussions I can edit the category, but for the old ones not!
  • Options
    eh?
  • Options
    uziuzi
    edited April 2006
    ???? I want just to move old discussions to other categories... or delete them! For new discussions I can change the category if I edit the very first comment, but for the old discussions only text area is visible...
  • Options
    MarkMark Vanilla Staff
    I've never heard of that happening before. Did you not have categories enabled before, and now you've turned them on? Is it something like that?
  • Options
    I would think they'd be assigned to the default category then.
  • Options
    MarkMark Vanilla Staff
    Yeah - they should be... I'll look into it.
  • Options
    I converted the db from phpbb and so all the discussions that I have in phpbb I can find in Vanilla under the right categories in the forum, but if I edit the very first post of them only the text area is visible... that's the problem...
  • Options
    *has a hunch
  • Options
    :)
  • Options
    well, i wonder if jakob_r used the phpbb converter as well and if that had anything to do with it.
  • Options
    Good question! But the thing is that the discussions are shown in the rights categories! Only this "choose-field" is not visible!
  • Options
    uziuzi
    edited April 2006
    No, I think he didn't used it! Look at his last post:

"Sure, I understand that. I've been experimenting with vanilla on a local install with an admin login and two kinds of guest logins. When logged in as admin, I only get the "edit your comments" window when I edit the first post for all my earlier test discussions, and the title and category fields don't show. All those posts were created before I started adding new categories, i.e. when General Discussions was the only category.

Later I made another category to test shifting discussions between categories but couldn't find the option, which is why I posted here.

I made a new post to test your answer as described above, and on that post everything works as it should: I get the "start your discussion" window and _can_ change title and category. But for the old posts I still cannot switch categories or edit the titles."

I also created another one category after my phpbb-migration!
  • Options
    lechlech Chicagoland
    Editing the original post and selecting a new category doesn't work then?
  • Options
    Only for new posts....
  • Options
    lechlech Chicagoland
    Yeah, then this seems to fall onto the converter for whatever reason that may be, hmmm.
  • Options
    no, no converter used, it was a fresh install about a week-10days ago and only a handful of discussions for test purposes.
  • Options
    *mops brow
  • Options
    uziuzi
    edited April 2006
    to jakob_r:

yes, I think too that the reason is not the converter...
  • Options
    hm...
  • Options
    edited April 2006
    I had the same problem with my phpBB migration. It was especially difficult since we had hundreds of topics on the old forum. In the end, I had to just use phpMyAdmin to manually set the category for all of the old discussions. Took quite a while. I think the problem could be that the converter is trying to assign phpBB categories that don't exist in the Vanilla install to discussions. Very annoying, but I've had worse problems with phpBB in the past..
This discussion has been closed.