Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

What is WriteFilterTabs supposed to do?

hgtonighthgtonight ∞ · New Moderator
edited July 2012 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8

Greetings.

I am a little flummoxed by some ambiguous functionality. While creating a custom theme for a small community, I ran across a function called WriteFilterTabs in many files (particularly, categories/all.php).

After inspecting the code and some [url="http://vanillaforums.org/search?Search=WriteFilterTabs"]searching[/url], I am still stumped.

I know what it [b]outputs[/b] (All Discussions, My Discussions, My Drafts), I just don't know it's [i]purpose[/i]. It takes me to a page that includes all my discussions, comments, and drafts from the [i]entire[/i] site. However, both the placement (not in nav area) and the prominence (on every page of discussion views) of these "tabs" implies they would filter the [i]current[/i] view.

I don't have any particular problem with the current functionality. I just want to know if it is the [b]intent[/b] to make these filter the current view. If not, I also want to know if I can [b]safely[/b] get rid of these "filters" in my theme.

In short, what exactly do the Filter Tabs do? Can I safely exclude them from my custom theme?

Thank you in advance!

Search first

Check out the Documentation! We are always looking for new content and pull requests.

Click on insightful, awesome, and funny reactions to thank community volunteers for their valuable posts.

Best Answer

• Options
    ToddTodd Chief Product Officer Vanilla Staff
    Answer ✓

I guess the term FilterTabs are a bit of a misnomer as they are more navigation than filter as you say. If you get rid of them you'd want to add links to bookmarks and drafts as there isn't another way to get to those pages.

Answers

• Options
    ToddTodd Chief Product Officer Vanilla Staff
    Answer ✓

I guess the term FilterTabs are a bit of a misnomer as they are more navigation than filter as you say. If you get rid of them you'd want to add links to bookmarks and drafts as there isn't another way to get to those pages.

• Options
    hgtonighthgtonight ∞ · New Moderator

Thanks for the clarification!

You can find Discussions through the profile page. Drafts is MIA and needs to be added to my meta box.

Search first

Check out the Documentation! We are always looking for new content and pull requests.

Click on insightful, awesome, and funny reactions to thank community volunteers for their valuable posts.