Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

Is there a market for commercial plugins and themes?

1235»

Comments

• Options
    businessdadbusinessdad Stealth contributor MVP

And anything can be exploited, unless you make it "anally" restrictive. I totally agree, any reward system would require moderators to review behaviour of forum Users and promote/demote them.

• Options

I find these discussions about roles/badges rather circular.

It is great to be creative and think, but unless you get the foundation down, it is all hyperbole.

Lack of patience means things take longer.

It is a perfectly reasonable starting point for businessdad to say he want to focus on a system based on badges, not a system that uses roles as a means of obtaining badges, or roles plus.

Apart from what has already been mentioned, it would actually annoy some people that the two had been conflated. People may not realise at the conceptual stage, that such a thing would be a problem, but experience shows that it could make it more restrictive. Setting up the roles can be more complicated than it I need to be, it is easy to make a mistake.

grep is your friend.

• Options
    businessdadbusinessdad Stealth contributor MVP

@x00 said:
    It is great to be creative and think, but unless you get the foundation down, it is all hyperbole.

I couldn't agree more. Creativity is good, but it often leads to feature creep, the death of any project.

@x00 said:
    Lack of patience means things take longer.

That's a sentence I wish I said many times in the past. I ask for permission to repeat it verbatim to my clients. :)

• Options
    LincLinc Detroit Admin
    edited January 2013

@vrijvlinder said:
    yea I notice that the Voting plugin is also open to abuse

Sigh. You're the forum owner, no? So you can vote multiple times as you wish. Feature, not abuse vector.

• Options
    vrijvlindervrijvlinder Papillon-Sauvage MVP
    edited January 2013

lol, so I am guilty of featuring(abusing) the Vote plugin !!? Is there a way to zero the counts? lmao

• Options
    peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited January 2013

@vrijvlinder

Is there a way to zero the counts?

you are joking of course. you can do anything you want. values for all things are stored in the database tables.

I'd also like to sum up the title question and responses

Is there a market for commercial plugins and themes?

• yes - by the right person, the right plugin and right themes.
    • maybe - the market may not make you rich, but you never know.
    • no - if the plugin and theme is not desired by the marketplace.

So there we have it - question summed up.

BTW - Is there a "bastante" reaction plugin to signify hasn't this question been answered?

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• Options

you are joking of course.

Yes , I mean it goes up or down lmao!! I personally don't find the need for that plugin, but since it comes with the package I found I need to test my themes with it on, to make adjustments. so An admin can jimmy the votes. Good reason to make an uber admin ....

yes - by the right person, the right plugin and themes

Si me gusta !!

• Options
    peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited January 2013

@vrijvlinder

You may be interested in the vote-rigging plugin that at random times increases votes for particular users? No need to manually rig votes - everything would be completely automated for you. Would there be a commercial market for the "vote-rigging plugin"? I could get started on the commercial plugin - but I have to warn you this plugin will be "professionally" done and thus command a hefty price.

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• Options

No need to manually rig votes - everything would be completely automated for you.

You must be mistaking me for a politician .... 0_o

• Options

@businessdad said:
    That's a sentence I wish I said many times in the past. I ask for permission to repeat it verbatim to my clients. :)

I'm sure someone has said it in a more elegant way.

grep is your friend.

• Options
    422422 Developer MVP

what happened to threads that remain on topic ? perhaps someone could create a plugin whereby we could detonate users who veer off topic ....

:)

There was an error rendering this rich post.

This discussion has been closed.