Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

Import vanilla 2.0 database to 2.1?

Is it possible to import my 2.0 database to a 2.1 site, what is the best way to do this? Should I just point the new forum to the old database when setting up?

Comments

• Options

Why can't you import in an install of 2.0 and then upgrade?
    2.1 is still in alpha mode, not for live sites.

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• Options

Well basically Ill explain what happened.

I had a 2.0 install, and I tried to upgrade it, following this http://vanillaforums.org/docs/installation-upgrade

That went.. badly, it came out with nothing but fatal errors. To the point where I had to totally wipe the forum off the server. So now I am in a state of a clean install, however I still have my old database.

• Options
    NonnisiNonnisi New
    edited October 2012

I did a clean install of 2.0, then upgraded it to 2.1, then went to /utility/upgrade and got this error.

Fatal error: require_once() [function.require]: Failed opening required 'PATH_LIBRARY_CORE/functions.error.php' (include_path='.:/usr/local/php5_3/lib/php') in /home/content/52/9077052/html/bootstrap.php on line 33

• Options

Hmm, I seem to get that error when ever I try and include my 2.0 config with 2.1, is there some basic upgrade procedure I am missing?

• Options
    UnderDogUnderDog MVP
    edited October 2012

@Nonnisi said:
    Hmm, I seem to get that error when ever I try and include my 2.0 config with 2.1

Looks like the 2.0 config doesn't know the constant PATH_LIBRARY_CORE.

Your solution is in the fact that you need to start with 2.0, get it working, backup, backup, backup and then try to upgrade again.
    2.1 is not for live sites.

• Options

I have made a perfect clone of the server on my laptop, fresh config and everything though, same error is coming up when I try and upgrade that.

• Options

Ok, perfect clone is good. So you have a working version of 2.0.18.4, correct? Now you have an error : I cannot find path ... So what you need to do is go to the config and see where PATH_LIBRARY_CORE is defined. Is it defined or not. If you can install 2.1 next to it (clean install) you can compare 2.1 config to 2.0 config (use WinMerge) and add that path to your config. It's cutting edge, risky, but since it's on your laptop no-one will notice but you.
    I'm calling in the help of @peregrine since he can tell you this stuff in a more fun way. Keep the backup (clone) of what you have now, since your upgrade will be a nice test once we go alpha, beta, etc. You're running cutting edge version at the moment.

• Options
    peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited October 2012

this is only a guess since I haven't used the upgrade, because 2.1 is in alpha stage

do you have a conf/constants.php?

try adding this to line 2 in bootstrap.php

define('PATH_ROOT', getcwd());

and try commenting out line 25
    //  if (!defined('VANILLA_CONSTANTS'))
    so  this will always execute.

include(PATH_CONF.'/constants.php');

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• Options

If your constants don't show up in your included or required files, then you probably have php safe mode turned on!

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• Options
    fr3em1ndfr3em1nd ✭✭
    edited November 2012

a traditional yet very effective way of upgrading for me is installing new version from scratch and just importing each database tables from old installation to new database, from users to discussions and uploading 'uploads' folder manually works great :D

• Options

@Nonnisi i've found something interesting that may help you import. what i did is this:

1. download important databases from your old vanilla 2.0:

gdn_user
    gdn_comment
    gdn_conversation
    gdn_conversationmessage
    gdn_discussion
    gdn_activity
    gdn_role
    gdn_userdiscussion

or you may download everything if you want.

1. install a fresh Vanilla 2.1 on your new server
    2. import the downloaded databases to the new database created by Vanilla 2.1(dont test the site yet since it will just get errors).
    3. on your Vanilla 2.1 installation delete config.php found in /conf/config.php
    4. run the Vanilla 2.1 again and it will route you to the installation page.

DONE :D

• Options
    LincLinc Detroit Admin

You need to run /utility/update after upgrading. That will update your database appropriately.

• Options
    peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited November 2012

@Lincoln said:
    You need to run /utility/update after upgrading. That will update your database appropriately.

so Lincoln - just for clarification -

http://vanillaforums.org/docs/installation-upgrade

would be the doc to follow for the standard way of updating for an update from 2.0.81.4 and 2.1

and is it working bug-free (as far as you know) now for 2.1a33 and later?

the reason I ask is because in earlier alpha releases the above procedure did not seem to work.

• Options
    LincLinc Detroit Admin
    edited November 2012

You're asking me if the upgrade from an unreleased alpha to an unreleased beta is working bug free? C'mon. :P

I've incrementally upgraded my database structure successfully using /utility/update and as far as we know that process will work. Reinstalling or "importing" is not a good strategy. If you find a glitch, then give us enough information to diagnose it (like exactly what version you started on, which version you're upgrading to, what steps you took to upgrade, and exactly what errors you're getting) not recommend people some cockamamy rigamarole workaround that involves deleting conf files.

• Options
    peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited November 2012

@Lincoln said:
    You're asking me if the upgrade from an unreleased alpha to an unreleased beta is working bug free? C'mon. :P

Not exactly what i meant to imply.
    I guess i meant to ask "does /utility/update completes without a fatal error. "
    and you answered it here.

I've incrementally upgraded my database structure successfully using /utility/update and as far as we know that process will work

Thanks. I had asked if anyone successfully used the utility/update for 2.1 upgrading and no one ever replied. So, it's good news.
    I also saw your other thread here - which folks should also read when upgrading.

http://vanillaforums.org/discussion/comment/170761/#Comment_170761

• Options
    LincLinc Detroit Admin

Both my sites (icrontic.com and newbuddhist.com) typically run on the develop branch. In three years, I've never had an impassable problem that required reinstalling or reconfiguring anything. They're currently running on the release branch for testing and because I'm told the develop branch is currently suicidal. :D