Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Try Vanilla Forums Cloud product
Please upgrade to 2.3 here. The 2.2 and earlier branches are no longer being updated.

How do I display the amount of comments on one discussion on another part of my website?

Hi! I'm back with another question. I hope you have the time to answer it. Thanks in advance.

How do I display the amount of comments on one discussion on another part of my website?

Comments

• businessdadbusinessdad Stealth contributor MVP

I think you need to clarify something: what do you mean with "website"? The forum itself is a website, but, often, people have additional websites, to which the forum is an "addon".

• @businessdad said:
    I think you need to clarify something: what do you mean with "website"? The forum itself is a website, but, often, people have additional websites, to which the forum is an "addon".

I'm sorry that I wasn't clear enough, I though I had put my website url in my spoiler and therefore people would understand what I wanted to do. I have vanilla embeded into MediaWiki and I want to display the amount of comments on a discussion on my MediaWiki frontpage. Here's the website URL: http://epicnuts.com

• Anyone? I would really appreciate some help on this. Thanks!

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited December 2012

@medelsvensson said:
    Anyone? I would really appreciate some help on this. Thanks!

at the very least.

you could do a sql select in vanilla write out the file to an html or text file
    and read it in with an include on your home page. or put a sql select in your home page that read the vanilla database and displays in your home page. or do a rss feed into your site.

not really sure what you are talking about. either way it would require coding on your part.

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• mcu_hqmcu_hq yippie ki-yay Arizona, USA ✭✭✭
    edited December 2012

or put a sql select in your home page that read the vanilla database and displays in your home page

This is how I would do it. Connect to your database using your framework or whatever and then grab the details that way.

SMF has something called, "Server Side Includes" which I think Vanilla could adopt since it would be VERY useful for common things like this.

• x00x00 MVP
    edited December 2012

Vanilla already has an json api. you can just fetch with ajax.

example
    http://vanillaforums.org/discussion.json/22108/

look at the CountComments field.

Or you could simply take the count from the database.

grep is your friend.