Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

How do I display the amount of comments on one discussion on another part of my website?

Hi! I'm back with another question. I hope you have the time to answer it. Thanks in advance.

How do I display the amount of comments on one discussion on another part of my website?

Answers

• businessdadbusinessdad Stealth contributor MVP

I think you need to clarify something: what do you mean with "website"? The forum itself is a website, but, often, people have additional websites, to which the forum is an "addon".

• @businessdad said:
    I think you need to clarify something: what do you mean with "website"? The forum itself is a website, but, often, people have additional websites, to which the forum is an "addon".

I'm sorry that I wasn't clear enough, I though I had put my website url in my spoiler and therefore people would understand what I wanted to do. I have vanilla embeded into MediaWiki and I want to display the amount of comments on a discussion on my MediaWiki frontpage. Here's the website URL: http://epicnuts.com

• Anyone? I would really appreciate some help on this. Thanks!

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited December 2012

@medelsvensson said:
    Anyone? I would really appreciate some help on this. Thanks!

at the very least.

you could do a sql select in vanilla write out the file to an html or text file
    and read it in with an include on your home page. or put a sql select in your home page that read the vanilla database and displays in your home page. or do a rss feed into your site.

not really sure what you are talking about. either way it would require coding on your part.

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• mcu_hqmcu_hq yippie ki-yay ✭✭✭
    edited December 2012

or put a sql select in your home page that read the vanilla database and displays in your home page

This is how I would do it. Connect to your database using your framework or whatever and then grab the details that way.

SMF has something called, "Server Side Includes" which I think Vanilla could adopt since it would be VERY useful for common things like this.

• x00x00 MVP
    edited December 2012

Vanilla already has an json api. you can just fetch with ajax.

example
    http://vanillaforums.org/discussion.json/22108/

look at the CountComments field.

Or you could simply take the count from the database.

grep is your friend.