Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Vanilla API Interfering With Forum Functions

I'm setting up an Vanilla forum, and I'm using [vanillaforums.org/addon/542-api-json](the JSON API) to interface the forum with the rest of my website.

I've got the API working (/vanilla/api/session, etc. read out the data they should). However, now when I try to post a discussion, I get this returned in a webpage (actually, this is displayed in the iframe that my forum lives in, but you get the idea):

{"FormSaved":true,"DeliveryType":"ALL","Data":"","InformMessages":[],"ErrorMessages":"","RedirectUrl":""}

The discussion does post, however, as I can see it when I navigate back to the forum. However, if I try to view the discussion by clicking on it, I get the same error as when I try to post a discussion.

Disabling the API application fixes this...

Tagged:

Comments

• svtguy88svtguy88 New
    edited January 2013

Anyone? I'd really like to get this working, as the API would be really nice to be able to use, but until this is figured out, the API is useless.

Just to clarify - I'm now using the embed plugin to display my forum, but the same problem exists if I browse to the vanilla index page directly.

• LincLinc Detroit Admin
    edited January 2013

Might want to ping the plugin author, but I'm going to guess this is a futile effort because the plugin is 3 years old and we've changed the data structure since then (ironically, to let an API work easier).

• Yeah, I noticed that the plugin was really outdated, and it took a good bit of fiddling around to even get it to work a little. I haven't had time to really dive into what's happening (this is a side project...the development work that I get paid for takes precedence..lol).

Anyway, are there plans for the new API to make it into the open source version of Vanilla, or is it strictly being used on the hosted solutions?

It sure would be nice...

• I'll assume that means "hosted version only...."