Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

Upgrading Vanilla, Release to Release

phreakphreak Vanilla*APP (White Label) & Vanilla*Skins Shop MVP

Hi everbody,

I'd like to upgrade my installation of Vanilla and something i was never really sure about was if i should upgrade from release to release or of i could jumps to the latest.

1.)
Meaning (A) Upgrading: 2.0.18.1 > 2.0.18.2 > 2.0.18.3 > 2.0.18.4
Or (B) 2.0.18.1 > 2.0.18.4

I did never really understand the DB update. In some releases this link just appeared to be broken:
www.yourforum.com/utility/update

2.)
And is there a way to retrieve just the changed files between different version from GitHub or any kind of easy software that can check that for me?
2.0.18.1 compared to 2.0.18.4

Thanx for info.

• VanillaAPP | iOS & Android App for Vanilla - White label app for Vanilla Forums OS
  • VanillaSkins | Plugins, Themes, Graphics and Custom Development for Vanilla

Comments

• Options

I've wondered the same thing. I'd like to know how and when the database is updated rather than having a mystery update process. That was one nice thing about Vbulletin is that the updates would take you through every version and display what changes were made to the db in every step.

• Options

That's sweet suggestion i'd love to have some kind of update like that , just like joomla.

I did never really understand the DB update. In some releases this link just appeared to be broken: www.yourforum.com/utility/update

i think this is just applicable from v2.0 to v2.1

• Options

You have to do a little trying (and documenting please) here.
    The way I would do it (locally) is make a new 2.0.18.4 install (of course installing the plugins locally too and the theme) and then restore the 2.0.18.1 backup.
    If you want to know about the changed files, I would use WinMerge, but I will guess that every file since 2.0.18.1 has been changed somehow.

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• Options

@underdog I believe he was referring to how the DB changed between versions, not the files.

• Options
    phreakphreak Vanilla*APP (White Label) & Vanilla*Skins Shop MVP
    edited February 2013

@UnderDog and @DirtyDog: Yes, i referred to both. Files and DB. I also think both processes are pretty much unclear. It would be great to download a folder that just incorporates those files changed. You could check those through if you hacked any of them in any way and the just upload it.

• VanillaAPP | iOS & Android App for Vanilla - White label app for Vanilla Forums OS
    • VanillaSkins | Plugins, Themes, Graphics and Custom Development for Vanilla
  • Options
    LincLinc Detroit Admin

You should be able to jump to the latest version. /utility/update is made such that it will always update your database to include all current requirements regardless of its current state. That said... definitely back it up first.