Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

Is there a Windows Live Connect plugin available?

This would allow SSO with Windows Live accounts, which would be helpful since I'm implementing Vanilla on a site using Windows Live for Domains. Anyone working on this by any chance?

Tagged:

Best Answer

Answers

• Options
    hgtonighthgtonight ∞ · New Moderator

AFAIK, there is no existing plugin. I am not sure it is even possible using existing methods since Windows Live is not an OpenID provider. From a cursory internet search, it doesn't seem possible.

It does provide OAuth support, so I could see some type of Windows Live integration (invite contacts, set profile pic, etc.).

Search first

Check out the Documentation! We are always looking for new content and pull requests.

Click on insightful, awesome, and funny reactions to thank community volunteers for their valuable posts.

• Options

@hgtonight said:
    ... I am not sure it is even possible using existing methods since Windows Live is not an OpenID provider. From a cursory internet search, it doesn't seem possible.

@x00 said:
    No you would have to develop it, but it should be possible

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microsoft_account

Best have a look at the other connect plugins like facebook, twitter, openid, google, etc.

Emphasis added. I didn't mean impossible to connect, but that the interface Windows Live provides is different from all the existing plugins.

You definitely had a better link though :D

Search first

Check out the Documentation! We are always looking for new content and pull requests.

Click on insightful, awesome, and funny reactions to thank community volunteers for their valuable posts.

• Options

Thanks very much for the info. I skimmed through Microsoft's documentation on implementing Live Connect. Hopefully it won't be terrible difficult to write a plugin to do this. I expect most anyone logging on my site will have a FB or Google account, but I'd like to add Live if only because the people who will have accounts on the domain will have Live accounts.

• Options

It is easier if they hand over the email willingly. Twitter doesn't do this, arguably twitter is in the right and the other connects are completely in the wrong, but people don't expect an extra stage first time round.

In the original twitter plugin they spoofed the email, which is not at all satisfactory, in term of account. I don't know if they changed it to include the email field, but I have adapted before in such a way.

grep is your friend.

• Options
    GaryFunkGaryFunk Senior Application Developer ✭✭

If it uses OAuth2, it will be rather simple. I will look at it and see what I can do for you.

• Options

@GaryFunk said:
    If it uses OAuth2, it will be rather simple. I will look at it and see what I can do for you.

That'd be awesome - if not, I have some background in PHP dev, so I may be able to figure it out. :)

• Options
    shifuimamshifuimam New
    edited March 2013

Edit: Nevermind, looks like the Windows Live OpenID project never made it to production. Boo. :(

• Options
    businessdadbusinessdad Stealth contributor MVP

@shifuimam said:
    Windows Live OpenID project never made it to production

So we could almost say "Windows Live is dead"? :D

• Options

More information on using the Live Connect SDK.

Search first

• Options

At the very least, they're using OAuth 2.0, so at least it's not entirely proprietary...