HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

Food for thought pertaining to plugin modifications. Developers Please give your thoughts!

2»

Comments

• Options
    peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited April 2013

@BBSForum

Maybe @Walawov feels like a deer in the headlights and doesn't know how to respond.

It's highly probable that @Walawov wanted to do something beneficial, for the forum, and didn't know the procedure, since there isn't a clear one. But I wanted to bring this to attention before it got out of hand with other plugins, and perhaps so we could get a suitable procedure, so "old plugins could be updated", and so actively maintained plugins wouldn't be copied (with a few cosmetic changes and an name change). I till think for active plugins the best way is this way, unless the plugin is highly modified functionally and is an original work.

http://vanillaforums.org/discussion/comment/179228/#Comment_179228

and it would be cool if @keepitterron , the original author of the plugin incorporated the change if they see this message.

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• Options
    vrijvlindervrijvlinder Papillon-Sauvage MVP
    edited April 2013

... yea if they are going to copy and rename, at least do it correctly and give the source credit ...

How to teach someone the right procedure? you have a plugin you made copied modified or created, you test in your own forum against potential problems , it works , you zip upload that's it.

I think the issue is that people need to be educated as to how best to clone and modify someone else's work. A guideline that is not just innuendo but written as a suggestion .

" If you want to take someone's plugin and modify it anyway you want, it's cool but as long as it has original code in it, you must :

1.Ask Permission to redistribute under another name

1. Give credit to the source in every generation of your versions.

3.Make sure it works before you submit.

• Options

I found a bug here, I put number 2. and it changed it to 1. ?? lol

• Options
    peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited April 2013

its because you indented again it is sub "1" under "1"

1. Ask Permission to redistribute under another name

2. Give credit to the source in every generation of your versions.

3. Make sure it works before you submit.

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• Options
    edited April 2013

nay I just looked and did not indent this is how it looks

lol that's very odd no? it works if I use markup 0_o had not happened before tho.

1. Options
      peregrineperegrine MVP
      edited April 2013

V - ok back to topic - start a new thread - to discuss your markdown findings.

this thread was already hijacked, no need to to hijack it again :).

2. Options

@peregrine said:
      its because you indented again it is sub "1" under "1"

1. Ask Permission to redistribute under another name

2. Give credit to the source in every generation of your versions.

3. Make sure it works before you submit.

Yes I agree 100% with this statement and it must be done :)

3. Options
      ToddTodd Chief Product Officer Vanilla Staff

We did speak to lawyers and open source experts when choosing our license, but we made the decision to go with GPLv2 on our own.

We don't think that MIT is a good license for Vanilla because we don't think it fosters contributions. That's the long and short of it.

4. Options

@Todd

But my question had nothing to do with licensing, it had to do with guidelines for making addons. The licensing part of the thread was split by @Underdog

5. Options

No wonder I thought I was on the wrong thread !

6. Options
      ToddTodd Chief Product Officer Vanilla Staff

Really the best thing to do would be the following:

1. @peregrine creates the plugin in his own github repo.
      2. @Walawov forks that plugin and modifies it.
      3. @Walawov submits a pull request back to @peregrine.

That's the git way and a good way to go about things.

7. Options
      peregrineperegrine MVP
      edited April 2013

@Todd

it's not my plugin , I am not the author of the plugin. I don't know where @Underdog got the idea.

But a good idea for future plugin mods.

However this plugin is broken out of the box if you never used kudos

and is not designed well if you had ever used kudos and not removed it.

so it is a red herring plugin - that is broken with no response from @Walawov

So Ultimately - for active plugins and cosmetic changes - it is not a good idea to change name of plugin and post it as a new add-on in the add-on repository, but to make your code available via github or (possibly adding a zip to the discussion subject within the plugin)

8. Options

So then these would be the guidelines to follow in the event someone abandoned their plugin and one wants to continue it, and if they want to enhance it in some way.

A person should not take someone else's plugin w/o permission and modify it ever so slightly then release it as their own w/o crediting the source , right?

9. Options

excellent Todd. Exactly what we need. Thanks.