HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

It would be cool if this forum forced the user to enter the vanilla version when posting.

peregrineperegrine MVP
edited April 2013 in Feedback

nuff said.

Until then - can everybody, PLEASE add your vanilla version when asking a question.

related to version: All versions of vanilla

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

Comments

• Options

It would usefull for the addons section.

grep is your friend.

• Options
    hgtonighthgtonight ∞ · New Moderator

I agree on both accounts

Search first

Check out the Documentation! We are always looking for new content and pull requests.

Click on insightful, awesome, and funny reactions to thank community volunteers for their valuable posts.

• Options
    vrijvlindervrijvlinder Papillon-Sauvage MVP

I just put my link to question guidelines 101 and ask for this info before attempting to help

http://vanillaforums.org/discussion/23158/question-guidelines-101#latest

• Options

@vrijvlinder said:
    I just put my link to question guidelines 101 and ask for this info before attempting to help

http://vanillaforums.org/discussion/23158/question-guidelines-101#latest

might be a good bootcamp exercise for new recruits.

might add a link for how to find version if it is not already there..

look in dashboard settings at the bottom for version of vanilla.

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• Options

Even being able to put some text on the ask a question page would be super helpful.

Search first

Check out the Documentation! We are always looking for new content and pull requests.

Click on insightful, awesome, and funny reactions to thank community volunteers for their valuable posts.

• Options
    edited April 2013

How about adding it to the registration fields. Making it mandatory to fill in the version. Then it would appear on their profile in the about box. Or beside their user name example :

newb 2.0.18.4

or it could be added as a drop down option next to question category, if it's an obscure version they could just put that in themselves

Questions 2.0.18.4

Questions 2.1...

• Options

@vrijvlinder that is a novel idea!

How about a vanilla badge in different colors: Red for old/unsupported versions, blue for current/stable, and yellow for beta/testing versions. Then there could be a tooltip on hover that gives the exact version.

Search first

• Options

That could be something each dev can put on their addon page like the icon and screenshot. They can rate their own wares . In other words say something like

I have tested this add on with such and such browser on this and that system and use it in my forum here is a link to see, I think it is a good product and is safe.

Then give themselves the great plugin badge. If no problems arise then they keep the badge until someone finds a problem that is serious, then the badge image gets replaced by the yellow one. This can be done by the triggering of an event such as a low rating. The image of the ratings can be a sprite image that simply changes with CSS it's position. The badges can be given a class that only is used when a rating happens.

There are a myriad of ways to do this. They key is to simplify while also allowing for human input.

• Options

@vrijvlinder said:
    How about adding it to the registration fields. Making it mandatory to fill in the version. Then it would appear on their profile in the about box. Or beside their user name example :

newb 2.0.18.4

or it could be added as a drop down option next to question category, if it's an obscure version they could just put that in themselves

Questions 2.0.18.4

Questions 2.1...

It certainly would need to be a field - that is blank from the get go and the user would have to choose version before post in the Add Discussion or Ask Question Box. Even a check box or a dropdown. But it would have to be selectable per question, because people can have question on different versions and be running multiple versions, so it can't be tied to user id with any certainty.

• Options

I just think that even a simple message on the ask a question page would go a long way. The first time I was here, I clicked on it before reading any other discussions.

I have since changed my ways. :D

Search first

• Options
    peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited April 2013

@hgtonight said:
    I just think that even a simple message on the ask a question page would go a long way. The first time I was here, I clicked on it before reading any other discussions.

I have since changed my ways. :D

you've been assimilated :) Resistance is futile for adaptable learners!