Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Plugin needed: images in discussions page (Custom developers?)

On my new photography forum, I have a section for photo critique. Users post an image in their discussion and other users can give their comments.
I think it would be good to show a thumbnail of the image next to the discussion title in the discussions list page. Something like this: http://www.fotonordest.com/forum/paesaggi-naturali/.
The images can be inserted via OEmbed, Mediator and FileUpload, so the plugin should keep into account all these ways of embedding.

Along with that, it would be cool to have a gallery of the inserted images.

I don't have the time to do it myself and, as far as I know, no plugin is able to do that.

Do you have suggestions on some plugin I may have missed?
Or is there someone albe to build it for me?

Comments

• 422422 Developer MVP

dont have the time or the ability ? This phrase used to really tick me off. Albeit you could be extremely accomplished.

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• Maybe my use of English isn't that good, sorry for writing something annoying.
    I can write software, I did it for many years. However now I'm focused on growing my blog and my business and, if there isn't a quick to do what I need, I'd like to find someone who can do it (and pay him/her, of course).

I wrote about this on the forum, since the page about custom development on this site suggests to do so.

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited April 2013

@ragdoll said:

I don't have the time to do it myself and, as far as I know, no plugin is able to do that.

I think 422 thought this was the annoying statement, "I don't have the time to do it myself" ,however, "since you don't have the rime to do it yourself", how much will you pay somebody who has the time and know how to do it??

Do you have suggestions on some plugin I may have missed? Or is there someone albe to build it for me?

can you post a snippet of the html source of images pointed to by OEmbed, Mediator and FileUpload, and the price you will contribute for a plugin (since you don't have the time, therefore someone else's time is less valuable :).

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• 422422 Developer MVP
    edited April 2013

What annoys me is people wo say, I haven't the time to do it.

Roughly translated means, they havent got a clue, and albeit may be able to recognise a body tag from a body blow, really mean ... I need help. Which is fine. Just that phrase really pisses me off.

Oh and to the OP, this isnt by any means a dig at you, by far. It's just the comment you made that I see time and time again that annoyed me lol

• @peregrine
    Maybe this thread should be closed and I should search on some other place.
    But, before that, I only want to explain why I wrote this post.

As often happens, when you have a website (and you know how to code), either you spend time to code your own plugins and themes, or you pay a freelancer to do it for you. I hope we agree on this.
    I needed a functionality that Vanilla does not provide and thought a dedicated plugin should solve this problem. So I searched for Vanilla custom development.
    One of the first pages was one on this site, suggesting to ask on the forum. I thought that the forum was the right place to ask for custom development.
    So I opened this thread with the purpose of asking for a suggestion and alternatively offering a job.

As regards the price, usually a quotation is given by the service provider, like when you ask for a website design.

I don't understand why you think that I imply that other people's time is less valuable. My second post mentioned that I wanted to pay for the service.

• 422422 Developer MVP

I once owned and operated a national flooring company, believe it or not. One day a guy said to me, as he stood watching us work. I would have done this myself, but I just havent got the time. He had stood watching for hours, so I turned round... got off my knees lol, handed him my toolbelt, and said you seem to have shit loads of time watching us, so we will have a break and watch you, and I will pay you. My parting words as I went outside for smoko was, I would do it myself, cos I can, but I cant be arsed, because your such a fricking expert !

• @422 said:
    What annoys me is people wo say, I haven't the time to do it.

Roughly translated means, they havent got a clue, and albeit may be able to recognise a body tag from a body blow, really mean ... I need help. Which is fine. Just that phrase really pisses me off.

Oh and to the OP, this isnt by any means a dig at you, by far. It's just the comment you made that I see time and time again that annoyed me lol

You posted just while I was writing my answer to Peregrine.
    I can guarantee that this is not my case.

As you know, when you are (or want to be) an enterpreneur, you are constantly trading time for money: either you build things yourself, or you pay something to do that. And you do it even if you know how to do those things, since you have to address your efforts to something else (and time is a limited resource, as you know).

Actually, I didn't mention paying in my first post, so this could have been the cause of this misunderstanding.

• If he is going to pay someone what is the problem?

I don't have time to do it either.

it is when people say stuff like "it should be simple" or it "shouldn't take long" that is were the real issue lies.

grep is your friend.

• hgtonighthgtonight ∞ · New Moderator

@ragdoll You might be interested in this discussion as it seems to fit your bill.

Search first

Check out the Documentation! We are always looking for new content and pull requests.

Click on insightful, awesome, and funny reactions to thank community volunteers for their valuable posts.

• @ragdoll said:
    I don't understand why you think that I imply that other people's time is less valuable. My second post mentioned that I wanted to pay for the service.

Sorry, I didn't read your second post. If you want me to modify this modification

http://vanillaforums.org/discussion/23346/topic-thumbnail

let me know via pm. I suspect we can work out a deal.

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• 422422 Developer MVP
    edited April 2013

Apologies for going off on one last night.

The reasons behind this are not personal trust me. But if by saying you havent got the time to do what you want, implies you have the ability to do it, then do it and others will kill for it, because what you are asking is sought after.
    Don't forget this is an open src area, so most of us here are hackaholics.

• businessdadbusinessdad Stealth contributor MVP

@ragdoll said:
    My second post mentioned that I wanted to pay for the service.

I might also be able to help. I will send you a PM as well, if you don't mind.

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited April 2013

A plugin I wrote - Here is a sample screenshot

of 5 images pulled out of 1 discussion and medium size thumbnails displayed above the discussion.

works with markdown, attached uploads, and html img tags in source

could also do a random image of 1 of the 5 images if you just want to display 1 image in front like the indexphotos.

If you or anyone is interested in pledging a donation and you like the possiblilites, I'll upload the plugin for community use.

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited April 2013

Here are sample screen shots when you hover your mouse over an image it expands the image and the elements slide to make room. Moving mouse off of image brings it back to normal

the 3 images shown within each screen shot were retrieved from the underlying discussion content that was entered by markdown tags, html img tags, or attached file upload by the discussion poster.
    These images are the ones you would see if you actually looked at the particular discussion and looked at the OP's discussion body, but now presented as a preview on the discussion topic page.

• vrijvlindervrijvlinder Papillon-Sauvage MVP

That is excellent you really are amazing !! glad you used MVP-whoop-ass-can I like that one ;)

• the two enlarged images in the screenshots are courtesy of @vrijvlinder from the badge repository discussion.

• I answered to a couple of you via private messages.