Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

SMF 1.x

I used the export and import program with SMF and it worked. The only thing it did not bring over was photos that users posted. Do i need a plugin or is this not supported?

Comments

• Options
    x00x00 MVP
    edited April 2013

well first of all don't delete any uploaded photos on SM. copy them to some folder in uploads

the have look at the img urls in the post, post an example.

you could then use some routing magic to ensure the images are loaded.

grep is your friend.

• Options

Thanks for the info.. I am really a newb as this stuff. Have had a forum since 2005 and now looking for a change and more options to drive traffic.. I assume the images will be in /images?

• Options
    hgtonighthgtonight ∞ · New Moderator

From a cursory google search, there appears to be an attachment folder to store user uploads.

Search first

Check out the Documentation! We are always looking for new content and pull requests.

Click on insightful, awesome, and funny reactions to thank community volunteers for their valuable posts.

• Options

Yes i found them. they are in the attachment folder. here is an example of one URL http://formulaboatsforum.com/forumtest/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=1620.0;attach=4193;image

File name in Attachement 4216_DSC_0138_JPGd58310184fa88fa6c9c0c7493437db0a

• Options
    hgtonighthgtonight ∞ · New Moderator

You need to copy that folder into your vanilla install. I suggest /uploads/smfattachments.

Then you will either need to update the posts in some pragmatic way to update the links, OR use some of @x00's routing magic.

Search first

Check out the Documentation! We are always looking for new content and pull requests.

Click on insightful, awesome, and funny reactions to thank community volunteers for their valuable posts.

• Options

Thanks. lets see if there is any magic on the horizon

• Options

Consider your current import from SMF to Vanilla an 'in-between' import. Maybe, just maybe, when you're almost satisfied with your import, consider using Porter plus and it can help you with those links to the attachments inside the posts.

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• Options
    x00x00 MVP
    edited April 2013

It is more complicated than that there is a whole lot of database look ups and hashing, etc to get the actual file name.

Tbh instead of trying to replicate the functionality, which could be a royal pain. you could just keep a copy of the SM forum on you server.

You could deny access the SM except for internal requests then route the links to this copy, for the attachments functionality.

You would then use one of the file upload solutions for future attachments.

grep is your friend.