HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

Ideas, Issues, etc.

Comments

• Options
    hgtonighthgtonight ∞ · New Moderator

@hgtonight said:
    This plugin won't add the module if the < embed> vanilla plugin is enabled. The css position styles can't work inside an iframe.

I noticed the embed tag was removed in the post, so I just put this up for clarification.

@sandernik said:
    Thanks for reply hgtonight, but in bootstrap there is no custom.css . Any ideas?

Bootstrap?

In your page source, there should be a stylesheet reference to jumptotop.css in the head element. Please check that this is the case.

Search first

Check out the Documentation! We are always looking for new content and pull requests.

Click on insightful, awesome, and funny reactions to thank community volunteers for their valuable posts.

• Options
    vrijvlindervrijvlinder Papillon-Sauvage MVP
    edited April 2013

I added my scripts to the mobile tpl and seems to work . Here is my mobile tpl so you can see how to successfully add javascript to it. I think the same can be done to an embed tpl since it the same type of file .

I think the scripts can also be added via this function

public function Base_Render_Before($Sender) {
          if (IsMobile() && is_object($Sender->Head)) {
             $Sender->Head->AddTag('meta', array('name' => 'viewport', 'content' => "width=device-width,minimum-scale=1.0,maximum-scale=1.0"));

$Sender->Head->AddString('< script type="text/javascript"  >
    your script would go here
    < /script >');
          }
       }

• Options

This plug in is so good that I have to catch myself looking for that magical blue arrow on other websites. Thanks for making it!

I have a strange problem, which likely stems from my lack of tech savvy. When I use the "Vanoogle" plugin, your arrow suddenly disappears. It seems the two plugins are in conflict. Is there anything I can do to fix this?

Your help and time are greatly appreciated.

• Options

@MrCanadian‌ Do you have any errors in your web console?

Can you share a link I could inspect?

Search first

Check out the Documentation! We are always looking for new content and pull requests.

Click on insightful, awesome, and funny reactions to thank community volunteers for their valuable posts.

• Options
    edited November 2014

@hgtonight said:
    MrCanadian‌ Do you have any errors in your web console?

Can you share a link I could inspect?

There aren't any errors either in the dashboard or on the website that I'm able to see.

Is there a particular time you'd like to view the website when I can turn on both the plugins simultaneously? (The website itself is www.crisisforums.org, which currently only has the "jump to top" plugin activiated, and "vanoogle" deactivated because I'm still trying to figure out what to do with it and it's just sitting in the middle of the page.)

• Options
    peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited November 2014

@MrCanadian said:
    Is there a particular time you'd like to view the website when I can turn on both the plugins simultaneously? (The website itself is www.crisisforums.org, which currently only has the "jump to top" plugin activiated, and "vanoogle" deactivated because I'm still trying to figure out what to do with it and it's just sitting in the middle of the page.)

you seriously need to upgrade your forum vanilla version!
    also, are you minifying your js?

vanilla 2.0.18.8 is not too great to use.

you should upgrade to 2.1.5 or at least the latest version of the 2.0.18 branch (which will go away an no longer be supported in a couple of months.

much more important then worrying about a jumptotop issue, if you have an insecure forum.

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• Options

@MrCanadian‌ you also have the voting plugin enabled. Best that you list all the enabled plugins, not just the ones you think are causing issues.

Search first

• Options

@peregrine said:

I would, more than anything, love to be able to update my forum to the beautiful new version that's now used, but I simply lack the technical ability and the confidence to be able to do it on my own.

We have close to 25,000 posts now and I worry that should any sort of error emerge regarding the "server" or "database" or whatnot, I'll be stuck with an offline website and it will be days, weeks, or forever before things ever get back to normal. People recommend to come here in such a situation, but that's not much help when I don't really understand what to do as per their instructions or inquiries, sadly.

When I first installed Vanilla, I simply pressed an "install" button and it automatically manifested itself courtesy of my hosting provider. Everything else has been the result of laborious fiddling or virtue of the wonderful plugins the community here has made. In a worst-case scenario I'd simply have to unload them, whereas anything pertaining to the innards of the website requires hands more experienced than my own.

As for minifying, I can honestly say I've never heard of that before, nor understand what it does or even means, so that probably isn't taking place I'd imagine.

• Options

take a gander at this. back up your database first, and if you can duplicate a test forum using vanilla version 2.1.5 as your goal.

http://vanillaforums.org/discussion/24793/yet-another-vanilla-upgrade-and-duplication-tutorial

if you are careful - you can experiment and learn alot and gain confidence by creating a duplicate.

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• Options
    edited November 2014

@hgtonight said:
    MrCanadian‌ you also have the voting plugin enabled. Best that you list all the enabled plugins, not just the ones you think are causing issues.

Forgive me in that case, since I assumed that since the loading of the "Vanoogle" plugin was the only time the arrow disappeared, that it was the culprit.

Here are all the active plugins I have, according to the dashboard list:

• All Viewed
    • Botstop
    • Discussion Polls
    • Emotify
    • File Upload
    • Jump to top
    • Most Popular
    • Peregrine Badges
    • Quotes
    • RoleTitle
    • SEOCompanion
    • Signatures
    • Split/Merge
    • Statistics Footer
    • Stop Form Spam
    • Vanilla Statistics
    • Voting
    • Who's Online
    • WYSIWIG (CLEditor)

(I tried to make a vertical list for ease of reading but it wouldn't allow it for some reason.)

• Options
    peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited November 2014

what version of vanoogle are you using?

you need version 1.4.2 snapshot version here:

"1.4.2-SNAPSHOT",

http://vanillaforums.org/addon/vanoogle-plugin-1.4.2-SNAPSHOT

since the other version doesn't have the necessary js files.

a bit hard to work with you don't stay on the forum long enough to try to troubleshoot.

• Options
    whu606whu606 I'm not a SuperHero; I just like wearing tights... MVP

@‌MrCanadian

You were offered a walk-through to show you how you could test the upgrade without any risk to your site.

If you make a copy/backup of your current database and use that in your test, then you are not affecting any live data at all, and will have no pressure if you do run into problems.

• Options
    whu606whu606 I'm not a SuperHero; I just like wearing tights... MVP

Just to clarify, I'm not suggesting the idea of the upgrade, for you, isn't daunting, simply that if you actually have a go, you will probably find it a lot easier than you fear.

• Options

So, no one has any ideas then?

• Options
    peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited November 2014

@MrCanadian said So, no one has any ideas then?

people tend to give up when you don't answer questions posed.

perhaps, but you don't answer any questions posed to you and stay on the forum long enough to troubleshoot, you may find it dragging on forever.

.http://vanillaforums.org/discussion/comment/218751/#Comment_218751

• Options

Love this plugin -- not being able to quickly get to the top of a long discussion was a big complaint from my visits.

However, with the layout I'm using, having the arrow on the right side of the screen would be better. I've experimented with margin-left: x% CSS stuff, but can't keep it properly responsive to different screen widths that way.

Any ideas to properly place it on the right side of the user's screen?

Thanks!

• Options
    peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited November 2014

or add a a right with a small pixel size to move from the right

in the JumpToTop/design/jumptotop.css

#JumpToTop {
            position: fixed;
            bottom: 14px;
            right: 70px;
            display: none;
            width: 64px;
            height: 64px;
            background-image: url("jump.png");
            background-repeat: no-repeat;
        }

• Options
    peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited November 2014

however, if you don't have enough room on the right hand side (e.g. panels on left instead of right)
    and the jumpto top image appears in the comments it will be hidden.

so if the above css hides the jump to top because of comments, you could theoretically add a z-index as well.
    But I would try to add some space to right of comments instead of z-index so the cursor doesn't cover comments.

z-index: 300;

when in doubt see the tutorials:

http://www.w3schools.com/css/css_positioning.asp

http://www.w3schools.com/cssref/pr_pos_z-index.asp

• Options
    vrijvlindervrijvlinder Papillon-Sauvage MVP

This is what I use to make it go right

div#JumpToTop {
    position: fixed;
    bottom: 0px;
    right: 0;
    width: 75px;
    float: right;
    height: 75px;
    background-image: url("back-up1.png");
    background-repeat: no-repeat;
    z-index: 9999;
    }

• Options

@FerrariSteve

you can also make the image a bit smaller with

background-size: 40px;