Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

What's Vanilla Hashtags all about?

Looking through my config.php I just discovered $Configuration['Garden']['Format']['Hashtags'] = FALSE;

I don't use Twitter, but I know is has this #hashtag feature I am not familiar with.

• Can anybody explain what Vanilla #hashtags are all about?
  • How does it work and how to use it?
  • Why is that function disabled by default?
  • Does it work well together with Markdown?
  • Is it really a bug what peregrine identified and fixed here?
Tagged:

Comments

• TamaTama United Kingdom ✭✭✭
    edited May 2013

It links to a search for the word after the hash

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• hgtonighthgtonight ∞ · New Moderator
    edited May 2013

Hashtags, afaik, were invented by Twitter as a shorthand to both tag and search text followed by a # sign. You just type a # followed by some text. #example it doesn't work the greatest with markdown side it also uses the # sign.

Search first

Check out the Documentation! We are always looking for new content and pull requests.

Click on insightful, awesome, and funny reactions to thank community volunteers for their valuable posts.

• @hgtonight said:
    Hashtags, afaik, were invented by Twitter as a shorthand to both tag and search text followed by a # sign. You just type a # followed by some text. #example it doesn't work the greatest with markdown side it also uses the # sign.

Here on Vanilla Markdown AND #hashtag are enabled and seem to be working (something about it has been mentioned in the mentioned other disussion).

I'm still not sure about the benefit of it though, I guess it's not a must have feature. Just curious because i found ['Hashtags'] = FALSE; in my config.php, and that one definitely wasn't there last time I looked.

Hastags #work in markdown.

They don't work #well

Search first

Check out the Documentation! We are always looking for new content and pull requests.

Click on insightful, awesome, and funny reactions to thank community volunteers for their valuable posts.

• @hgtonight

Damned, there must be something wrong with me, I still don't get it. Why is your first hashtag a link and the second not?

And what is the search with http://vanillaforums.org/search?Search=#work&Mode=like supposed to present exactly?

P.S. Sorry for being annoying.

The markdown formatter uses the # symbol to represent headers. What you see below is generated by typing #Yolo in a comment box.

Yolo

This can cause conflicts where the # is not recognized as the start of a hashtag. This won't happen in Simple Html or BBCode, since they don't rely on the # for anything.

Search first

• MasterOneMasterOne ✭✭
    edited May 2013

@hgtonight said:
    Hastags #work in markdown.
    They don't work #well

So how did you do it, that #work is a hashtag and #well not? I have applied the mentioned patch to class.format.php, enabled hashtags by $Configuration['Garden']['Format']['Hashtags'] = TRUE;, but when I test it by entering something like #test in a comment all i get is

test

I am still using Markdown btw.

• there hast to be nothing before the # to be a heading (on a new line)

grep is your friend.

• @x00 said:
    there hast to be nothing before the # to be a heading (on a new line)

I have tried all possible combinations. If I do #test on a new line, it becomes a heading. If I put a space or some text before #test, it does not become a hashtag but just #test as text, and of course nothing happens when putting a space in between # test as well.

I have no idea how @hgtonight did it above, but as seen here on this forum Markdown and hashtags indeed can work just nicely together, something I want to have as well.

• x00x00 MVP
    edited May 2013

MasterOne I can see hash tags in you comments that are linked.

grep is your friend.

• basically if text before #tag and text after tag it works

grep is your friend.

Putting a hashtag at the end on the line doesn't #work

I assume this is do to conflicts with the markdown #formatter.

Notice the differences in the lines.

Search first

• Is it really a bug what peregrine identified and fixed here?

http://vanillaforums.org/discussion/comment/166099/#Comment_166099

it's a matter of semantics - choose the behavior you prefer - searching for terms that have a #term and finding results of term or of #term.

@MasterOne - are you just testing features that work and don't work in 2.1 or are you wanting the various features and plugins to work.

I was assuming that 2.1 was for developers to test and report issues to github or to report suggested fixes to plugins.

Delving into the code, the wiki and docs - might answer more of your other questions.

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• @hgtonight

It's working, I wasn't aware that there has to be text after the hashtag, so as long as the hashtag is surrounded by text it's working just fine with Markdown in 2.1b1 with the mentioned patch applied to library/core/class.format.php.

@peregrine

I'm using 2.1b1 in a production environment, so far no issued that couldn't be solved. 2.1 has so many advantages over 2.0.x that I just couldn't stick with the latest stable version (2.0.18.8).

@MasterOne said:
    I'm using 2.1b1 in a production environment, so far no issued that couldn't be solved. 2.1 has so many advantages over 2.0.x that I just couldn't stick with the latest stable version (2.0.18.8).

You should report any errors you come across on GitHub. Bug reporting is the reason for betas, you know.

Search first

• @hgtonight

I'll do, but nothing so far was directly connected to 2.1b1 or to be considered errors. The core of 2.1b1 is running pretty much flawless, my issues mainly were about creating my custom theme and with some plugins.