Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Awkward Dashboard>>Users>>Authentication page loss of formating (Vanilla 2.1b1)

2»

Comments

• vrijvlindervrijvlinder Papillon-Sauvage MVP
    edited May 2013

Understandable, but after discovering Vanilla Forums it soon was pretty clear, that starting a new forum now with a 2.0.x release does not make that much sense any more with 2.1 already around the corner

And you came to this conclusion how? this reminds me of when people said "no point in buying a gas combustion car when electric vehicles are just around the corner". That was 10 years before the first electric vehicle hit the consumer showroom. We don't know when 2.1 will be stable maybe never. They might skip it and go straight to 2.2 beta . However 2.0.18 will still work perfect. I would learn more about Vanilla in general before venturing where there is no established support protocol for something that is constantly changing and in development .

but a lot of people are already using 2.1

Can you name a few ? Those who are using it , they are using it knowing it is beta and expect a certain number of problems they will need to handle based on the issues that have come up on Github. They are using it as gunny pigs , as test subjects. They are on their own.

Unfortunately opening an issue on github concerning that matter will lead nowhere

If it leads nowhere there what makes you think here will be any different?

I very much doubt that any plugin can influence the behavior of just the Authentication page

I recommend taking a look at peregrine's admin theme switcher so you can understand how the style is rendered on pages/plugincontrollers .It is possible that (since it is a beta version) they forgot or missed adding that page. Something you can fix easily .

On a side note, I really don't understand the hostility I am facing here on this forum.

You have been helped on every question you have posted, and you have posted many many questions. That is not hostile in my book. That is way kind and patient considering you never even mark people with awesome or insightful after they help unless they ask you to do so. That is not nice .... being grateful towards others who helped is one of the rules here. It is demonstrated by using those positive reactions.

it may as well be possible that others have experienced similar things

Indeed and if they did they posted a discussion about it already or discussed it in Github. you need to understand that we are all on our own with 2.1 and whatever issues may arise. I have had issues that no one here ever bothered to answer. Not one answer. What does that mean ? It means the answer is out there somewhere and I need to find it. I certainly don't think they are being hostile for ignoring a question . Maybe they also don't know .

Everyday is a learning experience for everyone, not everyone has the answer . Some answers will not satisfy so one must search for better ones.

Look at this software as a chunk of clay, you can make anything out of it, the complexity of what you create with it depends on how well you can mold clay.

I know you guys don't want to get involved in my issues,

hard to avoid you have a lot of them :(

I get it, but being experienced as you are, don't you feel the slightest curiosity about the issue I initially mentioned in this discussion?

Curiosity ? not sure that would be it. More like wtf ?

It would be more interesting if you also posted a fix or narrowed it down to the cause. But unless someone has experienced the same issue it will be hard to get someone to help on 2.1. Not enough people using it testing it etc. And what is more, those who are, are highly knowledgeable about Vanilla and php, css, js etc.

So they very well might have these issues, but fix them on their own silently. They might feel the issue is so trivial and easy to fix they never mention it. Assume that everyone else will know how to fix it maybe, which tends to be the case for most cases even for yourself who has found fixes on your own for some things.

don't get discouraged, but if you are bent on using beta software, you need to learn to fix the stuff and be aware that there will be problems, some which may not be easily solved.

• Well, I have copied the whole production site over to a LAN test site, disabled all plugins, switched to the default theme, and the problem was gone. Switched back to my theme, enabled one plugin after another and this way I could track down the problem to the Easy Members List 0.2.1 plugin!

I have now opened a new addon related discussion here.

Once again I am deeply sorry for wasting your time, guys, I should have first examined the problem and then posted, I know, but what can I say, sometimes I discover something unusual, and then my fingers are faster than reason.

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited May 2013

lol.. does the problem occur using the default theme and the Easy Members List 0.2.1 plugin!

perhaps a conflict with your theme. or your theme is not written correctly.

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• MasterOneMasterOne ✭✭
    edited May 2013

@peregrine said:
    lol.. does the problem occur using the default theme and the Easy Members List 0.2.1 plugin!

Yes, doesn't have to do with the theme, happens with the default theme as well (I didn't do anything special in my theme, it's based on the default theme that comes with 2.1b1).