Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

Markdown / Attachments / Emoticons in Messages and Activity?

I have been asked by one of my forum members, if it's possible to have the complete forum text entry box with Button Bar + Markdown + FileUpload + Emotify in Activity and Messages as well.

I guess it's not that simple with Conversations being it's one application, right?

Manually entered smileys are not converted to emoticons and formating is not possible in Activity and Messages, so I guess it would not help to just add the tools, right?

Is the absence of that functionality intentional, or just a missing feature that hasn't been thought of?

Comments

• Options

Again forgot to mention which Vanilla version I'm on. It's 2.1b1 ;-)

• Options
    hgtonighthgtonight ∞ · New Moderator

I think the idea was to keep activity simple. Something like a Twitter feed that applications, plugins, and users could post to.

That said, it would be nice if messages had the "full editor" available. I don't unfortunately, I don't have access to a dev box atm.

You might be surprised to find that plugins aren't tied to a specific application. You actually enable plugins through the dashboard application!

Search first

Check out the Documentation! We are always looking for new content and pull requests.

Click on insightful, awesome, and funny reactions to thank community volunteers for their valuable posts.

• Options

@hgtonight said:
    You might be surprised to find that plugins aren't tied to a specific application. You actually enable plugins through the dashboard application!

Once again, this will be interesting. I have no problem with keeping it simple though, but having a full blown message system with the same features like the forum indeed would be very nice.

• Options
    peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited May 2013

@hgtonight

That said, it would be nice if messages had the "full editor" available.

this is a start

http://vanillaforums.org/addon/wysihtml5-plugin

next step - add the formatting.

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• Options

@peregrine

I would like to stick to default editor with Button Bar, Markdown and Emotify (I have the wysihtml5-plugin installed, but not enabled, my forum members are already comforable with the setup in use now).

• Options
    MasterOneMasterOne ✭✭
    edited May 2013

I just played with that idea a little, but it looks like adding the three plugins (Emotify, ButtonBar and FileUpload) to the default editor in Activity & Messages is not that easy.

@hgtonight came up with >this< solution for getting that combination to work with comments, so possibly a similar approach will do it for Activity & Messages as well. I'll stay on this issue but with trial & error it may take a while.

Just adding the controllers to the plugins' class files as you did with CLEditor didn't do anything.

• Options

Using Vanilla 2.1b, ButtonBar 1.2.4, Emotify 2.0.4, and File Upload 1.5.2, I get nothing on the New Message (/messages/add) or on Add a Message form (/messages/id). The appropriate formatter works (BBCode, markdown, html, etc.).

This is quite the large project if you include Fileupload (modification of conversation models and views).

Search first

Check out the Documentation! We are always looking for new content and pull requests.

Click on insightful, awesome, and funny reactions to thank community volunteers for their valuable posts.

• Options

See the attached file for a diff of a fresh Vanilla 2.1b1 install with Emotify & ButtonBar working on Conversations.

The modifications are fairly simple, but they do span 6 files. This probably isn't for the faint of heart.

If a regular vets this code, I will submit a patch on github.

Search first

• Options
    peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited June 2013

This probably isn't for the faint of heart.

I fainted. and my heart well, you broke it :). it's a bit "diff" but not too difficult.

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• Options

@hgtonight, sorry, I still had no time to try this, I think I'll first upgrade to 2.2. I have no problems with patching core files, I even have my own patchfiles directory as I have made all modifications which can not be handled by overrides as unified diffs. If it works, why not. ;)

• Options

@MasterOne

This doesn't have to modify core files at all. You can make the views changes in your own custom theme. It does require modifying the buttonbar and emotify plugins.

Search first

• Options
    TamaTama United Kingdom ✭✭✭

@MasterOne said:
    hgtonight, sorry, I still had no time to try this, I think I'll first upgrade to 2.2. I have no problems with patching core files, I even have my own patchfiles directory as I have made all modifications which can not be handled by overrides as unified diffs. If it works, why not. ;)

I can confirm this fix works on 2.2 thanks hg!

There was an error rendering this rich post.