HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

icon :)

vrijvlindervrijvlinder Papillon-Sauvage MVP

I think this plugin is a great idea ! Thanks @peregrine now I will just sit and wait for the cash to roll in ;)

df.png 14.6K
Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited June 2013

Hope your forum members contribute to you, to recoup the donations you made to me :).

Some people pay it forward! some pay it backward!, and some not at all!

By the way thanks @vrijvlinder and @shadowdare for your monetary donations.

I'll get around to the icon V, thanks. I'm out of steam now!

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• Options

Not to be a spoilsport, but I can already see requests for "who donated" and amount of donations so far, then a time counter with a goal to meet ......who donated with avatar of donor, and how much they donated .... lol

• Options
    peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited June 2013

@vrijvlinder said:
    Not to be a spoilsport, but I can already see requests for "who donated" and amount of donations so far, then a time counter with a goal to meet ......who donated with avatar of donor, and how much they donated .... lol

well you've got a time counter

http://vanillaforums.org/addon/countdown-plugin

you could install that in an anouncement (pledge drive). have users pledge. and add pledges to announcement, or just cklose the announcement and ask people to send their screenname when they donate and add their name to the announcement.

or you could have a "wall of donations" via the extrapage plugin.

and with badges plugin... you could have
    and a patron badge, benefactor badge, subscriber badge - depending on donation amounts.

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• Options
    AaronWebsteyAaronWebstey Headband Afficionado Cole Harbour, NS ✭✭✭

That's funny @vrijvlinder‌ , I was just going to say that my forum users are asking for a Donations Thermometer (one of the members got screwed by his insurance company and we're trying to get him a new bike).

I just typed out a question for you two, but figured out the answer while typing. My holiday gift to you! :)

• Options
    R_JR_J Ex-Fanboy Munich Admin

I like the "surprise, surprise" idea of using a category which is invisible only for one single user!

• Options

@R_J‌ ha - I had to get a little creative with that, since permissions are additive and not subtractive. The role for team members on the site is called 'TRS Racing Members', and they're the only ones allowed to view the 'Huub TRS Racing Forum' category. So I added a new role called just 'TRS Racing', added the one guy (Heisler) to it, and removed him from the main one. So far, he hasn't noticed!

• Options
    hgtonighthgtonight ∞ · New Moderator

@AaronWebstey‌ You sound like a cool dude.

Carry on.

Search first

Check out the Documentation! We are always looking for new content and pull requests.

Click on insightful, awesome, and funny reactions to thank community volunteers for their valuable posts.

• Options

are you a bicycle endurance racer?

have you ever seen the movie "bicycle dreams" if not I recommend it.

• Options

Thanks @hgtonight‌ ! So do you, from what I've seen so far :)

@peregrine‌ triathlete, but yeah I love riding. I have heard of bicycle dreams and gotta get around to watching it - I had forgotten all about it!

• Options
    peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited January 2015

peregrine‌ triathlete, but yeah I love riding. I have heard of bicycle dreams and gotta get around to watching it - I had forgotten all about it!

I got it from the library. it had 2 dvds make sure you watch both. amazing covering 3000 miles on a bicycle in 11 days or so, some go for 48 hours with no sleep at all.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y1ZWZrKSxxs

• Options
    peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited January 2015

@AaronWebstey

Have you tried any Quintathelete competitions.

1. eat 3 jalapeno peppers
    2. 2.4-mile (3.86 km) swim,
    3. 112-mile (180.25 km) bicycle ride
    4. marathon 26.2-mile (42.2 km) run
    5. write a vanilla plugin and upload it to the forum

• Options
    edited January 2015

Hahaha ... actually, I've only done 2 of those! #1 and #2 (I was an Olympic-distance triathlete and just recently got back at it with plans for a 1/2 Ironman). I've ridden up to about 140km, and 180 just seems insane. Same with marathon; I've done a couple of 1/2s and can't imagine doing a full!

My latest brainchild (or is it brain fart?) for #5 is to build a 'Flush it' plugin. When someone(s) hijacks a discussion on our forum, the OP could select whatever comments she wants and click on a toilet icon that says 'Flush it!!'. Either immediately or after ratification by a moderator, the selected comments would get moved to a category called 'The Toilet', in a discussion called something like 'Flushed from <original discussion name> - <optional extra description added by OP or moderator after flushing>'.

Actually, 'The Sewer' would probably be a more apt name for where things get flushed. I don't know if I'll ever have time to do it, but I think it would be pretty poopular (I just typo'd that but decided to leave it) if I did.

• Options

@AaronWebstey said:
    Hahaha ... actually, I've only done 2 of those! #1 and #2 (I was an Olympic-distance triathlete and just recently got back at it with plans for a 1/2 Ironman). I've ridden up to about 140km, and 180 just seems insane. Same with marathon; I've done a couple of 1/2s and can't imagine doing a full!

My latest brainchild (or is it brain fart?) for #5 is to build a 'Flush it' plugin. When someone(s) hijacks a discussion on our forum, the OP could select whatever comments she wants and click on a toilet icon that says 'Flush it!!'. Either immediately or after ratification by a moderator, the selected comments would get moved to a category called 'The Toilet', in a discussion called something like 'Flushed from <original discussion name> - <optional extra description added by OP or moderator after flushing>'.

Actually, 'The Sewer' would probably be a more apt name for where things get flushed. I don't know if I'll ever have time to do it, but I think it would be pretty poopular (I just typo'd that but decided to leave it) if I did.

you would probably want a little bit of moderation on the flush it.

you could just clone flagging plugin and call it flush it.

then mod could approve or disapproved in the reporting and approve could move comment in the same manner as the split but be programmed to a category.

so with ideas from flagging plugin and split/merge you could do it. sounds like a good idea.

I could probably do 1,2, and 5 now. 3 and 4 are just a glimmer of the distant past, never to be re-lived.

• Options

Wonderful!!! I think I might give that a rip. So were you into tri? Speaking of hijacking ... :)

• Options
    peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited January 2015

@AaronWebstey said:
    Wonderful!!! I think I might give that a rip. So were you into tri? Speaking of hijacking ... :)

no, never participated in triathlon. just each individually and a long time ago.

• Options
    peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited January 2015

another thing you could do is allow op to click "Flush it" and autoinsert insert a spoiler tag around entire comment in the hijacked comment. that says hijacked comment please start a new discussion"

so clone spoiler or premhide or something and incorporate with Flush it.

so the flushed comments are hidden and require other users to click to see comment.

potential for it to be abused though, if in control of the op.

@r_j is probably programming this as we speak.

• Options

here is a re enactment of peregrine hijacking the thread ... all in a benevolent way of course

• Options
    edited January 2015

Discussing the terms for development going well

Sealing the deal ...

• Options
    peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited January 2015

@vrijvlinder‌

brilliant. you've captured the encounter in photographic detail. but your logic is awry....

However, peregrine is eyeing the bicyclist over, and speaking words of wisdom (to the bicyclist) after the bicyclist hijacked the thread initially. Bicyclist agrees and peddles off into the sunset unscathed and wiser as well. Also imparted some knowledge on how to attain great speeds. At no time was there a need to use talons.

you can't hijack a thread that was already hi-jacked.

there was a butterfly (with a remote camera attached) in the vicinity during the re-education ceremony I guess that was you or one of your sisters.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cKqt05iR9WI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t5rorbC4oUs