Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Try Vanilla Forums Cloud product

About vanilla versions

lifeisfoolifeisfoo Zombie plugins finder ✭✭✭

I've started, some months ago, building a community website for a client. Since it was a not-so-short project I decided to use as a starting point the 2.1 (alpha) version. I've updated vanilla code to following github commits many times ending with the latest commit of the release/2.1b branch.

Now, the core development is going fast-forward to the 2.2 version (release/2.2 branch), and the release/2.1 branch seems to be completely stopped (last commit 3 months ago).

As a plugins/applications developer this isn't a problem, but having one or more community website running on vanilla, updating core code is a sensitive operation (migrate db, no loss of information, etc).

So I have some questions:

• The release/2.1b branch will be a dead branch (not a real release)?
  • What branch will be the next stable release (so I can migrate to that and follow the development)?
  • Core code can be update from 2.1b to 2.2 without worries or a database update is required (script?) ?
  • Any advice about this topic?

I open this discussion with the hope that will be useful to as many developers as possible.

Thank you developers,
Core or not

Need a custom plugin? Contact me via vanilla private messages | Explore my GitHub repository | See my latest vanilla plugins

Comments