Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Try Vanilla Forums Cloud product
Vanilla 2.6 is here! It includes security fixes and requires PHP 7.0. We have therefore ALSO released Vanilla 2.5.2 with security patches if you are still on PHP 5.6 to give you additional time to upgrade.

About vanilla versions

lifeisfoolifeisfoo Zombie plugins finder ✭✭✭

I've started, some months ago, building a community website for a client. Since it was a not-so-short project I decided to use as a starting point the 2.1 (alpha) version. I've updated vanilla code to following github commits many times ending with the latest commit of the release/2.1b branch.

Now, the core development is going fast-forward to the 2.2 version (release/2.2 branch), and the release/2.1 branch seems to be completely stopped (last commit 3 months ago).

As a plugins/applications developer this isn't a problem, but having one or more community website running on vanilla, updating core code is a sensitive operation (migrate db, no loss of information, etc).

So I have some questions:

• The release/2.1b branch will be a dead branch (not a real release)?
  • What branch will be the next stable release (so I can migrate to that and follow the development)?
  • Core code can be update from 2.1b to 2.2 without worries or a database update is required (script?) ?
  • Any advice about this topic?

I open this discussion with the hope that will be useful to as many developers as possible.

Thank you developers,
Core or not

Need a custom plugin? Contact me via vanilla private messages | Explore my GitHub repository | See my latest vanilla plugins

Comments