Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Looking for a simple profile add-on

I'm trying to find some way of setting up member profiles within the information page for each person, I've found a few in the list of downloadable plug-ins but the trend seems to be to have lots of different settings and categories, on increasingly obscure details, and then to make some arbitrary parts necessary, such that for example it will not save without details on the member's relationship status and job. Anyone know of any similar options that would just provide a blank box into which each member can write whatever they want? As well, is there an option for setting that as the first page displayed on going to the user's page, rather than the notifications tab?
Thank you

Best Answer

Answers

• AdrianAdrian Wandering Spirit Montreal MVP

I was going to suggest you look at @x00 's MyProfile add-on, but it looks like you already did and got your answer on how to make things optional too: http://vanillaforums.org/discussion/24178/making-parts-of-the-profile-optional#latest

• So : duplicate topic?

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• aeryaery Gtricks Forum in 2.2 :) ✭✭✭

have you tried Extended Profiles Plugin?

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• kitutalkitutal New
    edited July 2013

@adriansonline said:
    I was going to suggest you look at x00 's MyProfile add-on, but it looks like you already did and got your answer on how to make things optional too: http://vanillaforums.org/discussion/24178/making-parts-of-the-profile-optional#latest

I got an answer there, did what they said and it didn't work, hence why I need a different solution

@aery said:
    have you tried Extended Profiles Plugin?

sounds promising, where is it, I can't find it in the plugin list

edited July 2013

@kitutal, it's hard to know that was the case as both topics were opened same day and you never responded to @x00 that his solution did not work. Hence it looks duplicate to me and @underdog

What version of Vanilla are you running? Also, just to clarify, the first part: you are looking for a blank box on the profile page that can be any text? You will then give that field any name you choose. In other words it does not need to be modified from backend...

• yea, just a blank text editor space, let each user choose what they want to show, how they want it laid out and so on, does such a thing exist that I've missed?

Looks like you have x00 addon working, so no need to build a new one. Be mindful too, when you ask for help to include the version of Vanilla Forums you are using. Good luck!

• I wouldn't say I have it 'working' considering it still picks a date of birth at random. Starting to think it'd be easier to learn how to make my own add-ons rather than asking here

• hgtonighthgtonight ∞ · New Moderator

Check out the community wiki if you are looking to roll your own:

http://vanillawiki.homebrewforums.net/index.php/Main_Page

Search first

Check out the Documentation! We are always looking for new content and pull requests.

Click on insightful, awesome, and funny reactions to thank community volunteers for their valuable posts.

• the help I've received from contributors to this site has been great, and I want to thank all of you, it's just the people that criticise my questions rather than answering them that I got a little frustrated at.

• R_JR_J Ex-Fanboy Munich Admin

@kitual: I've written a very basic profile addon, which in itself is kind of nonsense, but it was just for testing: http://vanillaforums.org/addon/usersvanillaversion-plugin. You can look at the source also on Github: https://github.com/R-J/UsersVanillaVersion where you can browse it without downloading and unzipping it.

I think you'll see that writing addons for Vanilla is relatively easy and the response here is always great if you ask development questions ;-)

Just thought that giving you some place to start other than zero could be helpful. I started myself few months before and I'm always browsing existing addons to find something that does what I need at the moment: looking at plugin a for how to set up the settings screen, looking for addon b on how to show a module in the panel and so on... It's kind of tedious, but you can learn a lot this way.

I've found the wiki to be a more general information which was a good start for me because I'm new to MVC, OOP and such, but looking at the source of addons and Vanilla itself is looking at solutions at that's what helps me the most.

Someone here, I forgot who, has more than one time posted links to "programming by coincidence" or something like that and I always feel guilty when I see it, but hey! - we have to start somehow and it is a great decision to start, anyhow.

Good luck!