Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

Better Permalink for SEO?

It has been almost three years and despite a lot of patience for one of my forums (on a primary domain: askindia.info) to get into Google Page 1 with keyword 'ASK INDIA', nothing like that happened despite several promotions. And, now my impression is that it has something to do with permalinks (i don't know if i'm right or wrong...please tell me). In Wordpress we have the option to use url structure (permalinks) which has www.sampledomain.com/category/post-title

Can we have similar URL structure like this http://askindia.info/social-welfare/how-to-extend-tourist-visa-in-india instead of http://askindia.info/discussion/337/how-to-extend-tourist-visa-in-india

Please suggest me a solution. Thanks

Tagged:

Comments

• Options

Currently this is not really viable without a lot of work

There is currently no permalink reference for routing or outputting urls.

Discussions cannot be referenced without the discussion id usually.

How much of a difference does it make? Honestly it makes some but this is often exaggerated. Google is smart, so it realises the urls can have a common prefix, it is smart enough to detect a slug anyway.

Not everyone can be no 1. If you are in a competitive market it is tougher. Google rank has little to do with promotions, well it is not a direct link anyway. You have to build into the behaviour.

Primarily it is about aiming for something that people want and are directly looking for, and focusing on content.

grep is your friend.

• Options
    AdrianAdrian Wandering Spirit Montreal MVP

I would like to second what @aery mentioned, the pretty urls in Vanilla are more than enough to get good rankings as long as the titles are relevant to your content. I also really recommend SEOCompanion: http://vanillaforums.org/addon/seocompanion-plugin

• Options
    LincLinc Detroit Admin
    edited July 2013

You can't get onto page 1 of Google for 2 incredibly common (and short) words together, and you think its a URL structure problem? Really?

• Options

Thank you guys. Why I'm saying this is because if you google 'ask india' you will be getting some askindia.net, www.askindia.co.in (leave aside www.askindia.org), askindiatech.com on Google Page 1. The sites particular askindia.net has little content compared to askindia.info ... i'm just curious why the site askindia.info is not even listed on Page 2, Page 3..Page .....5, 6 or at least 10?

• Options

are you using the sitemap add-on that might help with your crawling from Google.

• Options
    ChiprangChiprang New
    edited July 2013

@adriansonline said:
    are you using the sitemap add-on that might help with your crawling from Google.

Yes, i used Sitemaps version Version 1.1.5 by Tim Gunter

This is my sitemap http://askindia.info/sitemapindex.xml
    Below is my robots.txt

• Options

I ran a profile on your site with MajesticSEO, you can get a free account with Google webmaster tools. Get info here... Anyway if you look at the report, you really need to work on link building. Google does use links as a way to find authority content. Consider quality sites, or link share with quality blogs about India.

• Options
    ChiprangChiprang New
    edited July 2013

@adriansonline said:
    I ran a profile on your site with MajesticSEO, you can get a free account with Google webmaster tools. Get info here... Anyway if you look at the report, you really need to work on link building. Google does use links as a way to find authority content. Consider quality sites, or link share with quality blogs about India.

Thanks and I agree with you . Please check askindia.in or askindia.net (no content at all or backlink) and explain how and why it is on listed on Google Page 1 with the same keyword 'ask india' while askindia.info is not even in the top 30?

• Options

I do not see them on page 1.

• Options

You need to turn off personal search to get realistic results. You may need to search country specific.

grep is your friend.

• Options
    edited July 2013

@x00 his original was asking only about askindia.in, which I could not see and I used a logged out search in india. Did not work for me last night to see it :)

@Chiprang I would change your Title Tag to include "Ask India - All About India" which it is not at the moment. Right now it is "All Questions - All About India".

There are lots of things that go into Google's algorithm, so it's not an exact science. I can tell you though, I have never had a issue with ranking with a Vanilla Forum. I have ranked for some very competitive keywords in the past. You just have to tweak, persist and keep building quality links.

One trick I use is to look at the cached version of your site in Google, in text only view. Work on those elements to have the keywords you seek. Here is the view for your site.