Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

Email suddenly stopped ...

I searched and didn't see a thread re. this ...

The Forum has stopped sending emails to Members.

What might cause this, please?

Comments

• Options

BTW: I did go to Dashboard, Settings, Outgoing Email and checked to see that the Name and Email (a gmail account for the moment) had not changed.

• Options

OK, I happily dumped gmail and replaced it with a new email account I created on the same server as the Forum.

Do I need to check the smtp button in Dashboard-Settings-Email or should it work?

• Options

Any suggestion as to what port I should use when specifying a smtp host?

I have it set to Port 26 for Outgoing but so far Discussion posts are not being delivered.

• Options

The Forum is ignoring my settings change to email - it is still using the gmail account.

Why would that happen, please?

Do I need to remove the old setting manually?

• Options
    vrijvlindervrijvlinder Papillon-Sauvage MVP

go into your config.php and change it in there

$Configuration['Garden']['Email']['SupportAddress'] = 'contact@yousite.com';

Normally it works without having to set up smtp unless you want to or need to.

• Options

OK, I turned off smtp & checked config.php and it is correct.

Are these correct?

$Configuration['Garden']['Email']['UseSmtp'] = FALSE;
    $Configuration['Garden']['Email']['SmtpPort'] = '26';
    $Configuration['Garden']['Email']['SmtpSecurity'] = '';

Is it correct that anything posted to Discussion should send an email to all members?

Anything posted to Discussion-Announce is sent and is made a "sticky" post on the Forum?

• Options

smtp port 25 is what I have , email notifications are sent to people who check those in their preferences , look at the user preferences in the user profile.

• Options

I don't suppose there is a way to make email notifications the default for all Members?

It sure would be easier that way - then they can choose to toggle it off.

Otherwise I will go through and manually change them - there are 40 at the moment.

• Options

I'm nearly cross-eyed as I just went through every file and folder looking for where users are stored ... I was hoping to figure out a global way to set everyone to email notification of Forum posts ... I could not find a plugin for that.

• Options

copy these into your config.php after the //plugins and make the values to 1 means get mail 0 no mail. Or pop up

// Default Preferences
    $Configuration['Preferences']['Email']['ConversationMessage']   = '1';
    $Configuration['Preferences']['Email']['AddedToConversation']   = '1';
    $Configuration['Preferences']['Email']['BookmarkComment']       = '1';
    $Configuration['Preferences']['Email']['WallComment']           = '0';
    $Configuration['Preferences']['Email']['ActivityComment']       = '0';
    $Configuration['Preferences']['Email']['DiscussionComment']     = '0';
    $Configuration['Preferences']['Email']['DiscussionMention']     = '0';
    $Configuration['Preferences']['Email']['CommentMention']        = '0';
    $Configuration['Preferences']['Popup']['ConversationMessage']   = '1';
    $Configuration['Preferences']['Popup']['AddedToConversation']   = '1';
    $Configuration['Preferences']['Popup']['BookmarkComment']       = '1';
    $Configuration['Preferences']['Popup']['WallComment']           = '1';
    $Configuration['Preferences']['Popup']['ActivityComment']       = '1';
    $Configuration['Preferences']['Popup']['DiscussionComment']     = '1';
    $Configuration['Preferences']['Popup']['DiscussionMention']     = '1';
    $Configuration['Preferences']['Popup']['CommentMention']        = '1';

• Options

I changed both Discussion items to "1" but still no joy - a post to Discussion does not send an email to my admin or Member/Moderator account.
    My admin account is set to email notify & popup for almost everything for the time being so I can see what is going on.
    I did just receive a message that was an Inbox/Conversation - it was addressed to the correct email - so that may be solved.
    Also, I keep seeing references to "Wall" but such does not show up on the taskbar. I tried a search and came up empty. What is it, please?

• Options
    edited July 2013

You enable it just like any other permission. You go into your dashboard and edit Roles & Permissions for your role. The permission is right near the top.

make sure 'Advanced Notifications' permission is ticked in the Role (Admin, etc),permissions then check that:

Notify me when people start new discussions.

Notify me when people comment on a discussion.

are ticked in your profile preferences (My Preferences).

"Wall" What is it, please?

it is the user profile activity page, where you go put comments or leave a note. Sort of like a user profile bulletin board

this might help keep up with the slang

http://www.urbandictionary.com/

• Options

So "Wall" = "Activity" ... seems less confusing to use either the label Wall or Activity in Forum texts. BTW: For some reason my Member/Moderator role account is showing all of the new Member-related activity by my admin account on my non-admin Wall/Activity page - I don't think that should happen.

• Options

Oh, wait, they're not the same?

Hmmm ...

$Configuration['Preferences']['Email']['WallComment'] = '1';
    $Configuration['Preferences']['Email']['ActivityComment'] = '0';
    $Configuration['Preferences']['Popup']['WallComment'] = '1';
    $Configuration['Preferences']['Popup']['ActivityComment'] = '1';

• Options
    edited July 2013

yes I see your point, but I think Wall comment is in the profile and Activity is general activity page.

Where it says so and so and so joined etc. To you it says "You Joined ". That kind of thing.

So you can overdose on notifications at some point if you choose to get notified for everything.

• Options
    LincLinc Detroit Admin

@vrijvlinder @DavidColburn Adding those Preferences values to the config is setting the default for new members as they register. It does not override the settings for existing members.

• Options

Is there a way from an admin account to change all of the existing member settings? It will be a nuisance to have to do so 40 times manually.

• Options
    peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited July 2013

you could edit database, but I guarantee you it will take you longer. It's a nuisance, but you are lucky you found it now and it presumably take less than an hour to do, or spread out over 7 days, 10 minutes a day.

OR you could makean announcement in your forum to request members to change their settings and provide them instructions.

I suspect your next question with advanced notifications - will be (why do I get duplicate mailings (but we'll let sleeping dogs lie :)

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• Options

I take your point. Waaaay back in the day when I was managing a large database using a flat file in dbase+ I used to write scripts to handle tedious tasks like this. I imagine that such is possible but my knowledge of this system and my memory of scripting are both severely limited. I'll make the time and get it done today. Thanks! David