Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

404 Not Found after move to live box

Hi, I recently tried to move my forums to a live box running Apache and all links other than index.php give me an Apache 404.
I believe my problem has to do with .htaccess, but I tried uncommenting the RewriteBase '/' line and deleting .htaccess, to no avail.

Please help me, thanks.

Comments

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited July 2013

you don't want to delete it, try posting it here, as well as the location of your forum - it is in root or forum or vanilla or where.

and in what directory did you put the .htaccess, and is your forum embedded.

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• My .htaccess:

# Modified
    # If you modify this file then change the above line to: # Modified
    <IfModule mod_rewrite.c>
       RewriteEngine On
       # Certain hosts may require the following line.
       # If vanilla is in a subfolder then you need to specify it after the /. 
       # (ex. You put Vanilla in / so change the next line to: RewriteBase /)
       RewriteBase /
       RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-d
       RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-f
       RewriteRule ^(.*)$ index.php\?p=$1 [QSA,L]
    </IfModule>

The forum is in root (/var/www/) and the .htaccess is in the same place. I did not put it anywhere.
    I don't know what embedding forums is, so it probably isn't embedded.

Additionally, the forum worked on my machine (windows, XAMPP) - an exact copy on a live box (linux, tasksel'd LAMP) in the same place doesn't work. Apache misconfiguration?

• hgtonighthgtonight ∞ · New Moderator

Welcome to the community!

What version of Vanilla are you running?

Do pretty links work at all?

Search first

Check out the Documentation! We are always looking for new content and pull requests.

Click on insightful, awesome, and funny reactions to thank community volunteers for their valuable posts.

• ShadowdareShadowdare r_j MVP
    edited July 2013

Is the Apache mod_rewrite module enabled on your LAMP? If not, run this: sudo a2enmod rewrite.

Add Pages to Vanilla with the Basic Pages app