Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

Trying to edit CSS files with Firebug, why doesn't it tell me which CSS files i need to manipulate?

2»

Comments

• Options
    UnderDogUnderDog MVP
    edited August 2013

@DavidColburn said:
    At least it is helpful to know that the missing css location information is a failure of Firebug design and not the user missing something obvious.

Refer to this post by our V-Doc... It's called : How to use FireBug Are you getting where I'm going with this? It gets worse... In the top post, there are 2 videos. Let's skip to the second video, since I saw what you're looking for in like... the first 30 seconds of the video.

To the right of the screen (of the video) you see the CSS files. Try to do the same thing with what you were trying to do on your computer...
    When you see the CSS files, you can 'hover' over them and in the bottom left corner you see the address / path to your CSS file.
    If you click on the CSS file you can even see the actual path too and the content of the CSS file. (the link to the source file, as hgtonight says).

Now... I'll leave you in the capable hands of V-doc... (After you've read her post and watched the videos!)

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• Options
    @Shadowdare said: The CSS rules are probably in a style tag in the head tag of the page and not in a stylesheet.

This might very well be the case. It's constantly showing me "http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml" everywhere, and the CSS tab in Firebug doesn't have "tagline" strings in it.

Sorry, I was confused by this exchange ... given my radically-fragmented time to attend to Vanilla it's easy to forget a tidbit of info or to be confused when trying to quickly follow a thread to solve a momentary problem.

I will see what I can discover as scraps of time become available to learn and rehearse all of the tools ...

• Options
    vrijvlindervrijvlinder Papillon-Sauvage MVP

trying to quickly follow a thread to solve a momentary problem.

Instant gratification only happens after you learn how to work it. All problems are momentary, the solutions are what take some effort and research.

I will see what I can discover as scraps of time become available to learn and rehearse all of the tools ...

That would be the first thing you need to do, everyone needs to do. The tools, and learning how to use them is what will give you instant gratification momentarily . I would practice on messing with the style of any website of you choice , to learn what these tools can do. Just use your spare time learning this and practicing with it. It will be the best thing you ever did for ourself and by extension others.

You need to understand the great benefit and also, that IS what we all use to help people find the answers.

We all had to learn and practice using these tools since they are the only diagnostic tools we have to study and edit website content and design live in real time.

Without it you are just waisting your time and that of others. Please make more effort on that, it is only for your benefit :)